Is a 4 x 8 open air coop large enough for 4 standard chickens?

My 16x16 coop has a three-sided shelter at the windward end:

0917211147.jpg

I could look into doing a simple 3ft tall run with wire over the top. Maybe 4 wide 10 long? Just for some additional space during the day.

Is there a reason that you're looking at 4-feet wide?

As a general rule, a squarer space is more useful than a long, thin space.

Looking at plans for a 4x8 open air coop. Would this be a reasonable size for 3-4 standard sized chickens?

The nesting boxes extend outside that area in an enclosed space. The plan would be to add some roost bars. I have a spot with heavy tree shade and a wind break via my privacy fence. Here is what it’s supposed to look like:

View attachment 2922679

I cannot allow free ranging in my yard at the moment, but I always have the option of adding an additional run later on.

Located in West Central Florida (Citrus County).
Just wondering, are you in a residential zone or ag zone to be able to keep chickens? Looking for rules on Citrus Co. site and not finding much. Thanks in advance Bob

Just wondering, are you in a residential zone or ag zone to be able to keep chickens? Looking for rules on Citrus Co. site and not finding much. Thanks in advance Bob
I live in the residential area in Beverly Hills. Information I could find was few and far between. I ended up calling the zoning commission and asked specifically about my address. The person I talked to indicated that I was allowed to have up to four hens and no roosters. I made this call right before we bought our home in August of 2021.

Back
Top Bottom