Is a Buff Laced Wyandotte

I think they are only in the UK and Europe but you could set up a breeding pen and work on them yourself.
big_smile.png

They are available here in the US, I get them as sports from my BLRW's every now and then...I normaly cull them since I want nothing to do with Buff in my Red....I had a nice buff laced pullet that I recently got rid of..

AHH! I am not crazy about the BLRW, and would like the buffs! When I order those call ducks and sebastepols from you finally, you can send all your "culls" to me too
smile.png

Buff laced wyandottes are not quite the same as buff laced red wyandottes. Buff laced wyandottes are the same colour as the gold laced wyandottes but with white lacing replacing the black. This can be achieved by either using dominant white or splash to replace the black.

I know what a buff laced wyandotte looks like, that doesnt change the fact that I get buff laced whites as sports...not buff laced splash. In Germany they actually had to stop the BLRW Breeders from showing their sport buff laced wyandottes at shows (entered as buff laced wyandottes) because they kept beating the buff laced wyandotte breeders at the shows.

I have had several hatch that have no light blue specks or splash indicating splash on them, just white...I noticed I have one out there now and would be glad to take a picture of her for you. I have been breeding BLRW for some time now and I am pretty familar with what I get in chicks. Buff Laced Red Wyandottes are basically just really bad BLRW...as I said earlier...I get Buff Laced Whites as SPORTS...with no sign of splash in them.

Jerry..using my wifes user name again...oh, oh here she comes into the room now..gotta go.

Last edited:
Hello Jerry,

I've never bred the BLRW in US. I have seen some photos of some vary pale blues.....but I think they are blue. Have you ever tried test mating your buff laced birds to see what happens?

When in UK I bred BLRW imported from Germany with usual result, for the lacing, of the 25:50:25 thing of Bl//bl+. I also made buff laced gold using dominant white. The laced red is probably more striking than laced gold.

I can only think of splash or dominant white that could give the white lacing to either red laced or gold laced. And you wouldn't see any BLRW if they had dominant white....because the lacing would show as white. Splash, which can also used to make the Jubilee Indian Game, can sometimes show few or no flecks.

We have BLRW, and we have ones that have white lacing instead of the blue and black lacing too. Is the ones with the white lacing what you're talking about?

From my understanding, if you breed a white laced with a black laced red wyandotte, you'll get blue laced.

Edited to show these babies:

19181_picture_238.jpg

Thats a black laced one ^^ ^^

And this is a blue laced:

19181_picture_232.jpg

Last edited:
I have three lines of BLRW here....I crossed white wyandottes on one line about 3 generations ago...so you know where I am going with this..right? The cross improved the type immediatly and I still have the good mahogany red that I like so much, however I do get a buff colored white bird now and then (with none of the light blue specks of the typical splash color)...I dislike the buff color and have culled for it....another thing I have culled for and struggled with is the brassy-rust coloring in the rooster feathers and hackles on the roos..

The most difficult problem I have had with the BLRW is picking breeders with good type and good mahogany red coloring..the blue hasnt been a problem...its been a hard combination for me to find and use for breeders. The best colored birds have a tendecy to be the worst type...progress has been slow, but I am getting there.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom