Is a chicken considered a fowl or a bird? Can it be considered a pet?

Pics
What is wrong people. Chickens (Even roosters) are not the problem.
it’s the lack of understanding that a chicken can be just as much a loved pet, as a dog or cat, reptile etc. etc. I said my opinion so:plbb

So why does a chicken or anything for that matter need to be a "pet" to be loved?
Thats the problem people think if you love something it can't be livestock it has to be a pet.
There's plenty of people around here with all types of livestock that they care more for then some others do about their cats or dogs.
That has nothing to do with this thread. This thread is about trying to re-label chickens to skirt ordinances that don't allow them.

So why does a chicken or anything for that matter need to be a "pet" to be loved?
Thats the problem people think if you love something it can't be livestock it has to be a pet.
There's plenty of people around here with all types of livestock that they care more for then some others do about their cats or dogs.
That has nothing to do with this thread. This thread is about trying to re-label chickens to skirt ordinances that don't allow them.
I don't know! :confused:

In my city, "livestock" was defined as an animal that is raised for food or profit.

Good point. If you were raising them more as pets, it could work. But if you had a bunch of huge, commercial chickens and were raising them for meat, or selling eggs, I don't think it would work.

Hello,

I live in Southgate, MI and currently the ordinance states that fowl along with other “barnyard” animals are prohibited. I Have read that one option is to argue definitions and claim chickens are considered birds not fowl. Others believe that the city’s acceptance of your chickens would be permitted if you claimed them as a pet.

I simply want to have 4 chickens because they are beautiful to watch and to benefit from their egg laying capability. What, if anything, can I use to keep the city from fining me and/or ultimately forceI guess me to get rid of the chickens (once I get them or IF I get them).

Thank you and hopefully someone has some positive advice for me
Lived in a Hispanic neighborhood in the big city.. Chickens and pet roosters runing all over the place and bigger tree free. Apparently the powers that be don't know that tree.. or do they? Long Grain Rice

Hello,

I live in Southgate, MI and currently the ordinance states that fowl along with other “barnyard” animals are prohibited. I Have read that one option is to argue definitions and claim chickens are considered birds not fowl. Others believe that the city’s acceptance of your chickens would be permitted if you claimed them as a pet.

I simply want to have 4 chickens because they are beautiful to watch and to benefit from their egg laying capability. What, if anything, can I use to keep the city from fining me and/or ultimately forceI guess me to get rid of the chickens (once I get them or IF I get them).

Thank you and hopefully someone has some positive advice for me

You may want to consider quail, they are birds, they are small, they are quiet, they are cute and they lay eggs!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom