Is a dust box needed in the winter?

Rooster Ray

Songster
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
South West Michigan
I was wondering if I need to put some sort of dust box in the coop for the winter months. And if so what dimensions work best? And what do you put in it sand, dirt, ashes, DE or something else?

I dont use DE but my flock as a whole likes to dust bath daily even in the winter. They have either sand or fresh sawdust for dust bathing. It is part of their day.

ML

Interesting...can you guys or someone post a picture of your dust box...is this something I should have in all my pens?? And what types of "dust" do you put in there? I saw sand or fresh sawdust, but is there something else I whould be using?

Quote:
Sorry--what size is your smaller bin? Like a dishwashing sized pan? Sorry--I just want to make sure what sized pans to get and want them to be able to get into it without them flipping it(if possible)...

I just keep a pile of sand in the corner of their run, no box or anything. When I change out their water I dump the old water on that pile of sand and they go NUTS in that damp sand.

I give mine a pine box in which I place a bag of play sand and 4 cups of food-grade diatomaceous earth(DE). They love it year round inside the coop. I also add DE to their run perimeter and sprinkle it in any holes they dig.

Last edited:
Quote:
GREAT!!! Thanks!!!
thumbsup.gif

I'm going to put a car tire in my coop. Put sand and wood ash and a little DE mixed together. I use tires, placing a rubber feeder in them for feeders and put my water fountain on top of the other. This helps keep the pine shavings out and when it's really cold, I just use the rubber feeder for the water. It's easy to kick the ice out and refill. Jane

Back
Top Bottom