Is a groundhog gonna be a problem???

Quote:
LOL, ive got a two year old using the potty right now. will that work?
gig.gif

or do I have to go out and buy urine at a hunting supply store?

I am definitely NOT keeping him, as cute as he is.

I do believe i had a giant rat trap somewhere though. its the same as a mouse trap but its huge. I almost broke my wrist trying to set it once. puts the fear to ya!

Quote:
EEEEWWWWWEEEEEYYYYY. Nasty! Nope, couldn't make myself eat a geound hog... I've heard porcupines are good toon but I've never tasted one.

Quote:
Urine is an attractant to those that get food from humans, your right. But this is a rodent and if you go there to disturb his nest and hassle him and in doing so also pee there he will see it as part of the threat I figure.

Urine around campsites in bear areas where bears have learned to get garbage from irresponsible humans has proven to be an attractant. Some campsites now require use of the facilities even for the guys. Puts a real crimp on beer drinking in camp. LOL

Your rat trap will only work if you can find something that interests him as bait. CGS are root eaters, roots of grasses and alfalfa being the main diet if I recall, check with google. That's what makes them such a pest in hayfields, they eat the crop from below. If your going to use the trap try it first before you disturb him. After you start hassling him he will not go near anything with scent on it. Now curiosity might make him go in for one fatal mistake.

Quote:
Urine is an attractant to those that get food from humans, your right. But this is a rodent and if you go there to disturb his nest and hassle him and in doing so also pee there he will see it as part of the threat I figure.

Urine around campsites in bear areas where bears have learned to get garbage from irresponsible humans has proven to be an attractant. Some campsites now require use of the facilities even for the guys. Puts a real crimp on beer drinking in camp. LOL

Your rat trap will only work if you can find something that interests him as bait. CGS are root eaters, roots of grasses and alfalfa being the main diet if I recall, check with google. That's what makes them such a pest in hayfields, they eat the crop from below. If your going to use the trap try it first before you disturb him. After you start hassling him he will not go near anything with scent on it. Now curiosity might make him go in for one fatal mistake.

my brother has ground hogs because of his garden his 2 sons myself and him constantly mark our territory it don,t even slow them down I use both body grip traps set on their holes/dens/burrows and live cage traps set on the edges of the fields baited with mulberries this time of the year banana and broccoli work well too as do strawberries

Awww, he's cute! Totally get rid of him though, ditto on what everyone already said about disease, foundations, etc.

Just wanted to chime in that they won't hurt your chickens, quite the opposite actually! I watched two of my biggest hens chase down a small groundhog earlier this year. If I hadn't gotten to them first, little ground hog was about to be lunch!

A friend at work told us to try a rag soaked in original pine sol - it has to be the ORIGINAL kind. soak it and put it next to where they live. It worked for us. The smell is suppose to disorient them and be so annoying the leave. It was the only thing that worked.

Back
Top Bottom