is a little coconut oil safe to use for cleaning chick bums?

starkist72

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Hi,
My son and I have 14 3 day old baby chicks in our kitchen :) The last chick to hatch is smaller than the rest and had something hanging out from the stomach area. I gave it extra time in the incubator, some electrolytes and have successfully moved it into the brooder with the others. the cord (or whatever it is) has dried out and the chick is eating and cuddling this its siblings happily.

However, the down is still matted down all over the bottom of the chick, and the poop isn't clearing completely. I tried washing with a little apple cider vinegar and warm water, but it didn't do the job and i just ended up with a cold little chick. it's so small i don't want to chance letting it get cold, but i don't want it to turn into pasty butt either.

Has anyone ever used coconut oil to help keep the chicks clean? i use it as a makeup remover on myself and to clean my son's eczema, so it's readily available and i'm wondering if it's a smart option. any other suggestions? we're very new to this!

I don't see a problem with using the coconut oil. I used olive oil, even oil infused with lavender and vaseline to keep pasty butt from happening. It was also good to keep poo from sticking to feathers. I used a q tip to apply it around the vent.

To be safe I would have Corid on hand just in case of getting cocci. Our babies had to have it as were getting the red tinged diarrhea. All are fine now. The were given probiotics after the corid treatment. I also put the vitamins, acv, plain water on a rotation for the water they drink.

Coconut oil is a very good thing to keep in a chicken first aid kit. Besides using it to clean and lubricate vents, you can give it to a constipated chick and it can save a life.

I also use coconut oil to dress wounds and to cure skin fungus. It's also a very useful oil to help break up impacted crops.

The most convenient thing about coconut oil is the solid form is so much easier and safer to administer to a chicken without getting more oil on the outside of the chicken than inside, and it practically eliminates the danger of the chicken aspirating the oil during the struggle.

Coconut oil is a very good thing to keep in a chicken first aid kit. Besides using it to clean and lubricate vents, you can give it to a constipated chick and it can save a life.

I also use coconut oil to dress wounds and to cure skin fungus. It's also a very useful oil to help break up impacted crops.

The most convenient thing about coconut oil is the solid form is so much easier and safer to administer to a chicken without getting more oil on the outside of the chicken than inside, and it practically eliminates the danger of the chicken aspirating the oil during the struggle.
Thank you so much for the reply

Back
Top Bottom