Is a pair of drakes really better?

KCNC06

Crowing
Sep 19, 2009
Central NC
I think I read somewhere recently that if you're only going to have two ducks it's better to get two drakes or two hens, not a drake/hen pair. (I could very well have imagined that I read this though...I've imagined or dreamed weirder things so hard telling.) Has anyone else read this recommendation before? And will two drakes really do ok living together with no hens?
I highly doubt we'll actually run into this issue with our feathered family since I can't really see me wanting to cut back to just two ducks anytime soon. I'm curious because if I end up finding anyone interested in taking some of these spoiled ducklings I ended up with this year I don't want to recommend the wrong pairings to someone else. Like if someone just wants two, I wouldn't want to suggest the take a male/female pair if that's not as good as two drakes.

DuckyDonna

Crossing the Road
Aug 26, 2018
Dallas, Georgia
I think I read somewhere recently that if you're only going to have two ducks it's better to get two drakes or two hens, not a drake/hen pair. (I could very well have imagined that I read this though...I've imagined or dreamed weirder things so hard telling.) Has anyone else read this recommendation before? And will two drakes really do ok living together with no hens?
I highly doubt we'll actually run into this issue with our feathered family since I can't really see me wanting to cut back to just two ducks anytime soon. I'm curious because if I end up finding anyone interested in taking some of these spoiled ducklings I ended up with this year I don't want to recommend the wrong pairings to someone else. Like if someone just wants two, I wouldn't want to suggest the take a male/female pair if that's not as good as two drakes.
what kind of ducks are they?

CrazyDuckLady86

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2019
Maine
Thats so sweet

How long have you had them?
Just about a year. There were 4 of them. I had them in with my girls but when spring came they got a little too rough with my favorite girl and killed her. It wasn't really their fault, they were just doing what nature told them to do. I ended up giving 2 away but these too haven't found a new home yet. I'm too much of a softy to put them in the freezer lol Plus they are soooooo sweet! I feel silly for keeping them but they're my babies. I think I might have a duck addiction problem lol

Top Bottom