Is a pair of drakes really better?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KCNC06, Sep 23, 2019.

1. KCNC06

KCNC06 Songster

Sep 19, 2009
    Central NC
    I think I read somewhere recently that if you're only going to have two ducks it's better to get two drakes or two hens, not a drake/hen pair. (I could very well have imagined that I read this though...I've imagined or dreamed weirder things so hard telling.) Has anyone else read this recommendation before? And will two drakes really do ok living together with no hens?
    I highly doubt we'll actually run into this issue with our feathered family since I can't really see me wanting to cut back to just two ducks anytime soon. I'm curious because if I end up finding anyone interested in taking some of these spoiled ducklings I ended up with this year I don't want to recommend the wrong pairings to someone else. Like if someone just wants two, I wouldn't want to suggest the take a male/female pair if that's not as good as two drakes.

WannaBeHillBilly and ValerieJ like this.
  2. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    what kind of ducks are they?

3. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Wrangling Ducks

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama (Southern USA)
    I would not recommend 2 drakes. Spring comes, and so do hormones... usually they end up fighting. Best to get 2 girls or even a pair...

4. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Wrangling Ducks

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama (Southern USA)
    And likely has to separate them sometimes to...

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Yes he does but loves them. I guess it depends on the person as far as having drake.

6. CrazyDuckLady86

CrazyDuckLady86 In the Brooder

Sep 22, 2019
    Maine
    I have two boys that free range and are happy as can be. They're brothers so they've literally spent their whole lives together. They never fight. Most times you'll find them snuggled up with each other just hanging out.

7. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Thats so sweet

How long have you had them?

8. CrazyDuckLady86

CrazyDuckLady86 In the Brooder

Sep 22, 2019
    Maine
    Just about a year. There were 4 of them. I had them in with my girls but when spring came they got a little too rough with my favorite girl and killed her. It wasn't really their fault, they were just doing what nature told them to do. I ended up giving 2 away but these too haven't found a new home yet. I'm too much of a softy to put them in the freezer lol Plus they are soooooo sweet! I feel silly for keeping them but they're my babies. I think I might have a duck addiction problem lol

9. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    :gigi need duck methadone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: