Is a pair of drakes really better?

KCNC06

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Central NC
I think I read somewhere recently that if you're only going to have two ducks it's better to get two drakes or two hens, not a drake/hen pair. (I could very well have imagined that I read this though...I've imagined or dreamed weirder things so hard telling.) Has anyone else read this recommendation before? And will two drakes really do ok living together with no hens?
I highly doubt we'll actually run into this issue with our feathered family since I can't really see me wanting to cut back to just two ducks anytime soon. I'm curious because if I end up finding anyone interested in taking some of these spoiled ducklings I ended up with this year I don't want to recommend the wrong pairings to someone else. Like if someone just wants two, I wouldn't want to suggest the take a male/female pair if that's not as good as two drakes.

I think I read somewhere recently that if you're only going to have two ducks it's better to get two drakes or two hens, not a drake/hen pair. (I could very well have imagined that I read this though...I've imagined or dreamed weirder things so hard telling.) Has anyone else read this recommendation before? And will two drakes really do ok living together with no hens?
I highly doubt we'll actually run into this issue with our feathered family since I can't really see me wanting to cut back to just two ducks anytime soon. I'm curious because if I end up finding anyone interested in taking some of these spoiled ducklings I ended up with this year I don't want to recommend the wrong pairings to someone else. Like if someone just wants two, I wouldn't want to suggest the take a male/female pair if that's not as good as two drakes.
what kind of ducks are they?

Thats so sweet

How long have you had them?
Just about a year. There were 4 of them. I had them in with my girls but when spring came they got a little too rough with my favorite girl and killed her. It wasn't really their fault, they were just doing what nature told them to do. I ended up giving 2 away but these too haven't found a new home yet. I'm too much of a softy to put them in the freezer lol Plus they are soooooo sweet! I feel silly for keeping them but they're my babies. I think I might have a duck addiction problem lol

Back
Top Bottom