Is a red sex link the same thing as a golden comet?

oliviad51

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
North Carolina
The question pretty much says it. I have some red sex link hens and someone needs to get rid of a golden comet rooster so I figured I would take it if I could breed him with the hens.

I just read a post saying you could not breed sex links with eachother and also get a sex link. If you wouldn't get a sex link then what would you get?

Last edited:
Golden Comets are one type of red sex-link. There are a number of crosses that produce sex-linked chicks and include a red parent.

The offspring of two sex-links will not be sex-linked. Only the first generation cross has that quality. The hens will be just as good layers as the parents, though.

No you wouldn't get sexlinked chicks that way.

However, I have been fiddling around with the chicken calculator... if you can get yourself a silver lakenvelder rooster... well, your chicks should be sexlinked... depending on what cross your chicks are, all the hens could be white, with the roosters being yellow, or all the hens could be red with the roosters being yellow... O.O interesting!

Quote:
No, that yellow/ gold leakage in the roos isnt goin to come in til later so they wound be able to be sexed as chicks if you use a Silver roo.

Quote:
No, that yellow/ gold leakage in the roos isnt goin to come in til later so they wound be able to be sexed as chicks if you use a Silver roo.

Lol, oh... too bad.

Back
Top Bottom