Is a shed suitable

clairechickenhead

Hatching
12 Years
Jun 27, 2007
Hi

I'm new to the forum so hi everyone. I would like some advice.

I'm really eager to get and keep chickens but don't have enough money to buy a brandnew coop, so i've had an idea but not sure if it would work or would be suitable.

I've got a shed i don't use (6ft x 4ft) and i was thinking of using it for a chicken coop. Here's the plan:

Use a rabbit hutch inside the shed for nesting, cut a small hole from the side of the shed, put a door on it and build a run that would run the 6ft length of the shed and probably about 2ft wide. and build a couple of perches inside the shed that would run the length of the shed.

Would this be a good idea, if so how many chikens do you think i could keep in it. I'm eager to start so any advice would be brilliant.

Thanks

clairechickenhead.

You can transform lots of different things into a chicken coop. An old shed is a sure bet no doubt. I'm not sure how many though...some of the experts will tune in here soon.

A shed works great for a coop! Can you make your run bigger, tho? 2 ft wide by 6 ft doesn't give them a whole lot of room.... Check out the forum on coop designs, you'll get alot of ideas for nest boxes. Keep us up dated and good luck!
big_smile.png

Welcome to BYC, and the "madness" of owning chickens. It is an addiction none of us want to overcome.
smile.png

A converted shed is ideal! If there are no leaks, and is draft free, your chickens will be very happy. I too would think about a wider run. As far as how many chickens in the coop/shed......you say its 6x4..thats 24 sq ft. Each standard size hen needs 4 sq ft to be comfortable....so....24 devided by 4 is 6. 6 Hens would love that space....or 5 and a roo. Only a roo if you can have them where you are, and want babies. You wont need a roo if you just want eggs. Think also about predators. Whats in your area? You might want to put a top on the run. Good luck with your project, and get some pics during construction. Would love to see what you come up with.

Use the shed and have fun with it. There are a lot of people here (myself included) who have used them successfully.

As for the run, try 3'X10' or 4'X10' as those are standard sizes for hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom