is a staple-gun strong enough?

I have a 6.5'x10' tractor for my Freedom Rangers. The bottom is a 4x6 frame with chicken wire and plastic mesh netting (2 layers). I stapled all of it on. 1/2 the tractor has a tarp over it stapled to the wood. This gives the chickens a safe place where the coon can't get it's hands in.

So far (knocking on wood) it is holding up to almost nightly raccoon attacks. I have a very, very persistent young raccoon after my chickens. It has tried to dig under the tractor (only time our hard dry ground is a good thing, it couldn't do it), it has tried to push the wire in, it has tried to pull it up. So far, the that tractor has won and the coon has gone without a Feedom Ranger for dinner!

I also have a small PVC tractor. It did manage to get a baby out of that one because I didn't have the zip ties close enough together holding the chicken wire onto the PVC frame. They were close too... maybe 3" apart! Got one of my black sex link pullets.

So, staple close and often. Don't leave enough of a gap that the coon can pull the wire up and slide a hand under. They are very smart, and very persistent. Make sure the frame you are stapling to is solid, and with either a tarp or fabric or something create a couple solid corners for the birds to flock to at night in safety. Coons will reach their hands through the chicken wire and grab a chicken, pull it's head (or wing, or leg) through the wire and eat it. I've lost a couple roosters this way trying to lure the darn coon up so I could shoot it. Got a couple shots off, but missed. Grrr!!

Liz

Well, as it turns out we don't have one Racoon, we actually have 2 of them. We live within the city limits, so although I can "keep" firearms in my house, I just can't shoot them. Next subject: trapping. Yes, I could trap them, but my wife refuses to allow me to do that. As much as I'd like to, she knows what the fate would be of them.
It's going to be tough.
<sigh>
sad.png

I pee around my coop so predators get the human scent in get scared. I would, if I found my trap, use a hav-a-hart. You trap them then just kill them humanley; a .22 to the face/head

When we first moved out here i was like your wife. Coons were *cute little creatures*..and i *didnt move to the country to kill the wildlife!*. We built pens that rivaled ft knox. We lost chickens..i replaced them. We fortified pens. We lost chickens..i replaced them.

Then one morning i walked out to find that the coons had got into my duck pens and slaughtered *every* one of my calls and all but one of my black east india ducks. 14 ducks. It was just carnage and all they even ate was a little of each duck..mostly the livers. I called my hubby and said..bring home a trap those ^*(&^(&)&*) coons are history!

We trapped and destroyed 14 coons in 2 months. Get a humane trap.. trap the coons and destroy them. Dont..please..haul them out in the country and turn them lose to wreck havoc on someone else.

The first year we were out here we lost chickens to foxes, coyotes, possums, skunks, weasels, chicken hawks, coons and a big black snake that moved in under the chicken house. The coons were by far the worst of our predators though. I was about ready to give up when we got our livestock guardian dogs. Ive had my lgds for almost 3 years now..i have not lost a chicken to predators since then. Though they did go through a brief period as teenagers when *they* killed and ate some of my chickens. A couple loads of snake shot in the butt convinced them that wasnt a good idea!

I tried hammering in thousands of "U" nails and gave up after hitting my finger for the 100th time.
Found an inexpensive compressor that came with a brad/staple gun at Home Depot for $80.
WORTH EVERY PENNY!! Had wire up in minutes vs. days. And it has tons of other uses around the house. My fingers especially were greatful, and DW who didn't have to stand out there for hours on end holding wire for me and listening to bad words.

And 1 inch staples will NOT pull out when installed with a compressor/staple gun.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom