Is a temp of 50°f ok for 3-4 week meat birds?

picklestheduck

Obsessed with Animals🦆🐓🐥🐴🐱🐶
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2021
Michigan
Not my birds just trying to help someone out. Day temps are 65-70°F night is mostly 50° and up, but some dip Down to 45 is this ok for them or do they need heat?

Like the person above me, I'd say it's fine if mostly feathered. Last fall I put mine out at 3.5 weeks of age when they were mostly feathered,and the nights were 40-45 degrees. Just make sure you gradually wean them off their heat source before doing no heat.

I did provide a "huddle box" for the first week my chickens were outside, which I think helped. Just a box big enough for all of them, with one side cut out so they can get in on their own and snuggle up to each other for warmth. I put some pine shavings in the bottom of mine because they did poop in it.

I did CX that hatched in January and raised them in my garage till 4 wks old. Once they weren't so crazy about getting under the heat lamp around 3-4 wks they were good to go outside. However, there were about 20 of them to huddle for warmth. Some of them hadn't fully feathered by the time I processed them at 6 wks.

Their butts were bad about not feathering out quickly. I got my CX Rocks from Welp. Super healthy, just not really quick to feather.

Back
Top Bottom