Is a "wheaton" a breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lobzi, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I was told that my little one might be a wheaton. I was wondering where his genetics might have come from. None of my potential roos and definitely not his mom look anything like him.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Potential dads
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Definite mom:)
    [​IMG]

I appreciate any and all opinions! Thanks in advance.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    His color is blue wheaten, or blue salmon, if the blue salmon fav is the dad. Does mom have feathered legs? If she does, then the 3rd roo could be the dad.

3. Lobzi

I was suspecting my faverolle was dad especially when the little guy was young. It sort of looked like a faverolle (see pic of him as a baby). The thing was he didnt have a fifth toe and no muff so now Im wondering.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pic showing mama's legs and I think I see feathers, Ill have to check her out to see for sure. She is actually mothering four possibly pure faverolle babies currently. She hatched some faverolle eggs I received from a friend.
    [​IMG]

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    I'd say rooster three is probably his dad myself.

-Daniel

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    You often will lose the muff and 5th toe if the fav chicks are not pure (it happens in pure fav chicks too if each parent only has 1 gene for the particular trait). What color are the little guys legs? Where did your fav roo come from? They are supposed to have white legs, not slate...if you are going to be breeding the favs, I wouldn't use him...which is really too bad, because he looks pretty good otherwise...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  6. Lobzi

Ah well Pretty Boy Roo my Faverolle wont be fathering any more babies Im afraid. I lost him to a respiratory issue April 28th. He died in my arms. I loved him so and miss his sweet temperament and really pretty crow.
    Anyway, I got Roo from a friend who hatched some eggs from a hatchery. Are you asking about the wheaton, his leg coloring?

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Sorry to hear about your Fav roo!! [​IMG] No, I was referring to the fav's legs..

8. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Blue Salmon or Blue Wheaten. He's a cutie!

9. Lobzi

I recall them being gray not white. That is interesting and I watch for white legs in these new ones as they mature although, they are not blue salmon faverolles I dont think. Just salmon faverolles. Does that make a difference.
    You seem to know a lot about faverolles. What is "correct fifth toe placement" for indicating pure faverolles? Do you know? Ive asked that question on this forum under the faverolle thread and no one answered it.
    Here is the toe placement on a faverolle mix that hatched. At least I was informed it was a not pure due to the "fifth toe placement." I can see that the fifth toe sort of points downward while the fifth toes on the newer babies that I suspect are pure their fifth toe points upward.
    [​IMG]

10. Lobzi

Quote:Thank you, I think so too. He's a ball o fire! Currently his only sib is recovering from leg and wing paralysis Im suspect from vit b deficiency. Anyway, he is VERY protective of his friend and will come peck at me when I tend to the friend.
    Here they are together.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by