Is an abandoned chicken coop safe for new chickens?

NoPlaceLikeHomesteading

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2022
We are moving into a rental that has a chicken coop. It’s been empty for 6 years but still loaded with poo. Too much for me to clean today as we are heading back to our state to load the uhaul then head back this way on Monday with the chickens as well. Landlord says I can just put new bedding on there and call it good. What do you recommend? Thanks for your advice!

Really depends on why it was abandoned. If they just up and moved it should be fine. If they quit raising birds because they all died there might be something hiding in there that can wipe your small flock out.

Personally I'd want to clean it out first.

Really depends on why it was abandoned. If they just up and moved it should be fine. If they quit raising birds because they all died there might be something hiding in there that can wipe your small flock out.

Personally I'd want to clean it out first.
I believe they decided to move to town and according to the caretaker who is the father in law he said they didn’t want to take them with so they were all culled.

I would definitely clean it out, sanitize as best I could. Then open it up and let the sun shine in. Sunlight also kills a lot of stuff. I think I'd also look for things like mites. I don't know how long they can live without birds in there??? Maybe spray for them anyway to make sure.

I would also look for any rotted wood that could allow something to get in. Just because wood looks sound it can be rotten inside. I would also make sure there is an apron of hardware cloth or something to prevent critters digging in.

It could also need roosts replaced.

I don't think I'd just move my birds right in.

Six years without chickens in it. If there is anything left, which it is highly unlikely there is, shoveling poop out of it and spraying it with bleach or vinegar is not going to change anything. If anything is there it is in the land around it, you are not going to alter that. I don't know what it looks like or what your options are, but I would not hesitate to use it now based on what you've said.

My regret would be that after six years fallow the stuff in there would either be great to put in a compost pile or maybe use it straight as is as fertilizer on a garden or lawn, depending on how much it has broken down.

Back
Top Bottom