Is an only chicken ok?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by trophyschick, Oct 4, 2011.

1. trophyschick

trophyschick New Egg

Oct 4, 2011
    I have never had chickens before although I've thought it would be neat. But now my reason for getting chickens is my horse. I need a companion for him other than a horse or pony because he goes crazy when he leaves them. So I thought of a goat but they are hard to confine. Then I remembered racehorses having chickens as mascots or companions to calm them. I only want to get one hen so she can bond with Trophy, my horse. I know this may sound crazy. The hen will also be a family pet so she will have lots of care and attention. My question is, will it be cruel to have her not be with other chickens? I thought to get a pullet around 3-5 months old because I don't want to get a chick and find out it's a rooster. Then, if it's a young hen, it can still bond with us and Trophy. I'm going to put the coop and run inside Trophy's stall, a two-sided covered area that's 14'x14'. I'll make it a tractor that can get out of the stall sometimes. The coop would be 2'x3' and 4' tall, with a 1'x1' nesting box inside, raised off the ground. The run would be 2'x8' and 6' tall. Is this an adequate size for a single chicken who would be confined about 3/4 of the time? I would let her out to free range for an hour or two every day. Thank you for any information you can give me.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    What an interesting idea [​IMG] Chickens are flock creatures. It would probably be best if you could get three (then if something happens to one, you would still have two). A good place to learn the basics is at the Learning Center (top of page there's a link). And....[​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

A few of my chickens do have some kind of relationship with one of my stallions they hang out in his stall and roost on the fence and my stallion head is only inches away. They are really seem to enjoy each other!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG] from Texas

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas and [​IMG]. I agree with Yay Chicks assessment of situation. Best of luck to you! [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

3 makes a society, of the smallest order. Chickens are social creatures.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! So glad to have you aboard!

[​IMG]

10. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by