Is anyone else hatching all winter long?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Harley's girl, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I am going to continue to hatch all through the winter. I figure that way I will have started pullets in the spring. And since I am going to the swaps I think people will love buying started pullets in April!! What do you all think? Am I crazy? [​IMG]

2. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I'm hatching, too. At least for a while. I've got eggs in the hatcher right now (not looking good though) and I have more arriving tomorrow. But, I am hatching those for someone else.

3. Harley's girl

I have some going into the hatcher tomorrow. And I started a batch on Sunday, I have more eggs coming sometime soon. And as soon as my friends hen quiets being broody then I will start again!!! [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I promised the hubby I wouldn't this year. What was I thinking!?

5. Hi!
    You are crazy! HaHa!
    I'll be setting eggs here every week or 10 days same as always (well, not always --- just since fall '05).

[​IMG]
    Lisa

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I'm not doing chickens til spring. No demand for them right now. I am setting 40 jumbo coturnix and 27 button quail eggs in the incubator tonight though!!! Those coturnix are egg laying machines!!!

7. Harley's girl

I don't really want a basement full of chooks. But come this spring I will be glad I did. Plus any extra roosters I can eat! [​IMG] I plan on canning them. Has anyone ever canned their extra roos? If so how did the meat turn out? I am really excited to try this. [​IMG]

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i have 200 or so in the bator, and every week that i have a hatch, i'll be getting eggs to fill them spots,,, i dont plan on stopping till next,,,, ummmm ,,,,, ya then [​IMG]

9. Harley's girl

Quote:[​IMG] I have to ask......what are you going to do with all of them?

I am planning on selling the pullets and eating the roos. [​IMG]

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I think I'm done for the year after these button quail hatch... but I will be looking for EE hens this spring [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by