Is anyone else interested in cars and motorsport?

Street racing is highly illegal. Mostly done at night when there is low traffic by dumb kids. It's nothing like the stuff you see on tv today.

Something I've gotten into as I got older (still like drag racing) is off road driving. My area is a lot of mud but other parts of the country (like out west) is rock climbing.

Street racing is highly illegal. Mostly done at night when there is low traffic by dumb kids. It's nothing like the stuff you see on tv today.

Something I've gotten into as I got older (still like drag racing) is off road driving. My area is a lot of mud but other parts of the country (like out west) is rock climbing.
Ah yes, I wasn't sure if there was a bit more to street racing over your way, as in that they might close the roads and then use them, or something like that.(I totally know nothing about it! )
We also like off roading, and where we live there's quite a lot of it.
We have a couple of Land Rovers, and go on the fire trails in the national parks whenever we can.
A nice thing about the trails, is that one can actually you them for going shopping, as most of them come out on the other side. A good excuse for using them!

fj45
images

A roller here in the US is something without an engine in it.

Personally I like the fj40 better but here in the US they are rare as hens teeth.
You think 40's are rare, they were imported in massive numbers compared to 45's. :) But yes, I have a 1965 toyota FJ45 longbed sans drivetrain (which went 300k miles before it opted for "engine block porting via connecting rod" ) :) Barras are impossible to find in the states, so while I would love to do that, it's not time or cost effective. hence the 2jz (to keep it toyota) or a trin turbo LS (because cheap and plentiful).

Sounds good!
What sort of racing do the dirt track team do?
Oval track racing. Was a modified stock car team. Part of the reason I don't like "turn left" sports. They were an amazing bunch of folks and the people aspect was outstanding. It was just mundane as fa as the racing went.

Oval track racing. Was a modified stock car team. Part of the reason I don't like "turn left" sports. They were an amazing bunch of folks and the people aspect was outstanding. It was just mundane as fa as the racing went.
Sounds interesting, what sort of car did they use?
I think the people who are in to motorsport in general are usually pretty good. When we joined our club, everyone welcomed us and were keen to help; we've made some good friends and can always turn to them with any questions.
Here in Australia, we've got MotorSport Australia, which is the main body, and covers most areas.
And then there is AMSAG, which is just for our state, and is only for rallying.
Some events are run by one, and others are run by the other; which gets quite confusing as they have very different regulations. Generally AMSAG are much more relaxed, so it will be interesting to see how our next event goes, as it will be our first AMSAG event.

Sounds interesting, what sort of car did they use?
I think the people who are in to motorsport in general are usually pretty good. When we joined our club, everyone welcomed us and were keen to help; we've made some good friends and can always turn to them with any questions.
Here in Australia, we've got MotorSport Australia, which is the main body, and covers most areas.
And then there is AMSAG, which is just for our state, and is only for rallying.
Some events are run by one, and others are run by the other; which gets quite confusing as they have very different regulations. Generally AMSAG are much more relaxed, so it will be interesting to see how our next event goes, as it will be our first AMSAG event.
Dirt track modified is basically an entry level full tube chassis design. There is a build spec for all components to keep the classes balances (and more about the driver skill and car setup). GM builds a specific crate engine for them (GM 604 IMSA spec) and there's a build standard that teams have to follow. You can "claim" a winning engine from another driver after races (pay a fee to swap their engine for yours). This is intended to keep people honest and not require full teardowns of the engines to verify they're not modified outside the rules.

You think 40's are rare, they were imported in massive numbers compared to 45's. :) But yes, I have a 1965 toyota FJ45 longbed sans drivetrain (which went 300k miles before it opted for "engine block porting via connecting rod" ) :) Barras are impossible to find in the states, so while I would love to do that, it's not time or cost effective. hence the 2jz (to keep it toyota) or a trin turbo LS (because cheap and plentiful).
I'm old school. My 87 s10 blazer is sitting on dana 60s with baby 35s and a 383 under the hood. My 91 sonoma has a 3.4 that I hopped up when I pulled the 2.8 out of it. I looked at LS for my blazer but really want one of the new baby dmax 2.8 engines. Once that happens I want to find a 4.8 to drop in my 91 if I dont turn that 60 degree into a bastard with aluminium FWD heads and multi port, maybe a small snail.

Back
Top Bottom