Is Anyone In The City Of Spokane, Wa. Trying To Change The Ordinance??

jackolantern

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
smile.png
Is anyone in the city of Spokane, WA. trying to get them to let us have more hens and maybe a rooster?? If no how would i go about starting this??

Whoa! I think the aim for the time being is just getting Spokane County to allow chickens at all. There is currently a movement lobbying the county to follow the lead of Spokane, Spokane Valley, and Millwood in allowing backyard hens. I'd rather not push any more boundaries until people like me in unincorporated Spokane County are even allowed to have 1 chicken in the backyard. That is turning out to be a tough enough fight. I'm afraid something like the push for legal roosters in Spokane, will scare county commissioners (and county residents alike) into keeping chickens out period!

Roosters are legal in the city of Spokane. I happen to have three.
I have never found anything in the municipal codes that state otherwise.
We do have a code for public disturbance noise, which a rooster would fall under.
Frankly, if my lot wasn't large and I had neighbors right next to me, I would not keep roosters.
There are other roos in my area, I can barely hear them but my roos do.
When my boys start making a lot of noise, if I listen real hard I can hear another roo crowing.
Luckily, it doesn't happen too often. I do live in town so if it becomes a problem, I will do something about it.
I believe in being able to use your property as you wish, with that comes the responsibility of making sure you don't hinder your neighbors from enjoying theirs.
There are a lot of people that work swing or graveyard sifts and have to sleep during the day.
Umm... by the way, roosters will crow anytime of the day or night.

Back
Top Bottom