Is anyone interested in meat records?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Whitehouse Quail, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Hi, I have a quick question for people; would they be interested in a meat record software? I am making one, but want to make sure it is met with good feedback.

Right now, I have:

*Survival Rates
    *Total Weights
    *Live Weight Vs. Dead Weight
    *Normal records (# chicks purchased, price)
    *Expense Log (For seeing how much money is spent, and your bottom line)
    *Feed Section (So you can analyze the total amount of feed, and the nutrients.)
    *Managemet (Brooder guard, heat source, light per day)
    *Health Expense Record (Medications, electrolytes)
    *Broiler calculations (Average Daily Gain, Feed Eficiency)
    *Project Report (Your bottomline, prices, chick cost, feed costs, that sort of thing)
    *Point of Sale System (Potential customers, real customers, price sold, reciept printer)
    *Quality assurance statement printing
    *And more as I think of it.

Does anyone have any ideas, and a price I should ask?

I'm very interested.

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I don't raise meat birds. You may want to add on the title that it would be a computer program for tracking. You may be better served also if that was just one part of the program. If you made it so that it was a complete program for chickens, eggs laid, age they started laying, first moult, length of moult...etc.

Good luck!

3. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    If anyone actually really uses your program diligently, there will be a run on Wally-Mart. I kept my real cost numbers when I used to hatch and raise my own RIR, NH, and BR and their crosses... no more. Three years ago, I switched to the Cornish X and I cut my costs to about half per freezer camp attendee. This past year the feed costs jumped so high that now I am hard pressed to justify raising my own when I can buy the already processed bird for $0.67 to $0.98 a pound at our local grocery stores. But time will tell in this economy. As for taste... my wife is a great chef. She can make shoe leather taste like the finest steak at a snooty restaurant.

4. Whitehouse Quail

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:I've already created one of these; I was just seeing if it would work seperately, or if I should combine.

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

This would be something that I basically just plug my numbers into and it would calculate it then? Great idea- I'd be interested for sure. I have no idea on a price. Right now I just made a spreadsheet where I write in any expense, dead bird, etc. That would be a huge upgrade.

6. Whitehouse Quail

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Exactly!

7. feetsoup

feetsoup Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    Pasadena
    I would combine with the egg-layer software, as someone raising meat birds is likely to also have egg-layers. Makes more sense to keep everything conveniently in one place. As for price, well, that depends on how good the software is! And how many features it has.

If I wasn't already planning on writing my own record program, I'd be very interested, lol. Good luck! [​IMG]

8. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Can't get store chickens here for anywhere near $1 a lb. I think the last one I bought was $1.29 a lb. When we butchered ours after the fair we came out to about $5 a dressed bird and the lightest one was 6.25lbs. I didn't try to figure it out per lb just took the total spent and divided it by 7 birds.

Quote:

9. ewesfullchicks

ewesfullchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    Personally, I wouldn't use a meat record software...

I keep track of how much feed I use, how much bedding, any other costs, etc. plus how much I got for the whole harvest. Not much calculation, and I definitely wouldn't use software to track it.

Rachel
    Tx

10. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would use it.. i am starting ym first meat birds this spring and will have quail, turkey and rabbbits as well.. I could save a lot of time wiht this...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by