Is anyone NOT bothered by predators?

The way I see it, if something gets one of my birds, it was MY fault. I will NOT murder an animal for being what it is. I love all animals, 100%. I love predators more, because most people loathe them. I love possums, coons and snakes, I think they are so beautiful. There is nothing I love more than seeing a Gopher Snake slithering through the pasture!

I dont free range unless Im around. But I also have a couple pens that have no tops on them and rarely have attacks. Maybe the animals know I wont harm them, so they leave my flock alone.
wink.png
I just think people have to realize that not everything is going to survive, and if you have birds penned up that cant get away, of course a predator will look at it and think, "wow, an easy to catch meal."

Oh, I understand that horrid feeing you are feeling. And the guilt. Funny how the darling ones become pets so unexpectedly, isn't it?

When we first got chickens, we understood about predators and prepared in all the obvious ways for them, but you really never think about if tragedy actually occurs--until it occurs so suddenly and unexpectedly. It can really throw you for a loop and totally change your chicken lifestyle as you scramble and try to prevent it from occurring in the future.

Take care, Lee

<<This is very difficult. We didn't intend it to happen when we first got them, but they have become our pets. They are very friendly. They come running to us all the time. They enjoyed being picked up and held. They grab your pants if your don't pick them up quickly enough. It's very difficult this evening because we don't know which one we lost. I keep thinking we should have had them only in the run while we were gone; that we should have left the dog home, and so on.>>

Let's stay polite and on topic.

Our coop and run are insanely predator-proof. We planned it that way because we never wanted to come home to a massacre or stay awake nights worrying about the coyotes we hear in the neighborhood.

Easy now, Miltonchix. To each their own and I'm sure no one wants to have this thread locked down.

Back on Topic:

I can not be terribly upset if a predator snatches one of my birds while they're free ranging. I know the risks and accept the consequences. Now, if one happens to be brave enough to enter the area while I'm there, that's a different story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of those same predators are the ones that will eat the rodents that may try to get into your pen. Predators keep animal populations balanced, which is actually beneficial to poultry owners.

That said, I have found that just keeping a radio on helps us sleep at night.

The only predators we have around here are hawks, foxes, and some coons. But I've only seen the fox every 5 years or so, there has been a few houses being built nearby so I've not seen the fox for a long time now.

Hawks are another story. I see them in the sky and the woods. But the crows and jays hang around here too, so that's a good thing.

I haven't seen a raccoon in the 14 years we've been here. But that doesn't mean they're not here.

I've had no losses yet. They do free range when I'm home, but that's it. Now with a new hen added to the flock, -and she's a bit on the wild side - I chose to keep them in the run for the winter.

I like to sleep at night.

As long as Fluffy is in charge we have no problems ... (puppy photo)

CIMG1411.jpg

Lots of barking and eating of chicken feed, but the birds remain safe.

Just this morning a coyote past in front of the car as I was driving to work. Also in the area: black bear, mountain lions, bobcats, foxes, hawks (not as much as on the flat land), etc.

Birds range free during the day. At night they and Fluffy are locked down tight ... in the freaking house. One day I'll finish the barn/coop.

Jim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom