Is anyone raising rabbits in a colony?

OK, I
IMG_1044.JPG
now have photos;

This first one shows the rabbit "palace" from the outside. It is built inside an old garage/outbuilding that currently houses a chicken run and coop that I built about 7 years ago as well as a small coop that currently houses 5 juvenile Turkeys. From this end, the upper level is a separate hutch, perhaps the "guest appartment" probably will house the buck. The left side is a recycled 24" by 32" kitchen cabinet that opens into a similar sized "sun porch".

The bottom level is another recycled kitchen cabinet that has been divided into three nest boxes. Let's call that the "nursery'. The other side opens into the main run. I'll call that the "breakfast nook". More photos of that in the next post.

Last edited:
Here are some photos of the nest box. I can open it from the outside to check on babies and the divisions come out for cleaning. I need to install secure latches to the outside before I introduce any rabbits because I can imagine a raccoon seeing it as a handy snack cupboard.
IMG_1037.JPG

On the inside I reinforced the wall with a 12"X2" board and cut three access holes. I'm thinking I should keep them plugged until a few days before the does kindle, but I'd value your thoughts and advice on that.

IMG_1036.JPG

Ventilation holes drilled on back and sides.

I didn't get any photos taken of my rabbit colony run today
but here is a photo of the rabbit tractor I finished a few weeks ago.
I started with a kitchen cabinet I purchased used from ReStore (more recycled caginets
in my colony run) and currently houses two juvenile males.
I move it to fresh grass every day. The roofing material is leftover from other projects.
The hay rack is an old VHS tape rack.

View attachment 555695
Hi there,
I have been raising meat rabbits for about a year now - colony style. It has been a learning process for sure!
They have a 8x12ft shed with a large grass run that they access during the day.
From inexperience, my problem has been lots of kits!!:thI am now separating the sexes until I butcher a batch out. I really like your rabbit tractor idea, I think it would work really well for either the older kits or perhaps the senior does. Definitely going to put the boys in one.....may I ask where you got the plans for your tractor??

IMG_0976.JPG
Hi there,
.....may I ask where you got the plans for your tractor??

Completely made up as I went along. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, but when I make the next one (grow out pen for kits) I'll use 2X3s instead of 2X4s for the frame and use bigger wheels so it will be lighter and easier to move over uneven terrain.

Here are two photos I took while I was building it. The first just shows the base attached to the recycled kitchen cabinet. I removed the drawer and stapled hardware cloth over the drawer opening. The second shows the cabinet looking down from the top (I cut out the bottom and stapled hardware cloth on from the underside). The 2X4 attached to the back and across the front gave me a solid place to attach the metal roof. The metal top was firt attached to a frame that hinges open for access and cleaning.
IMG_0958.JPG

Last edited:
i always liked the idea of raising rabbits for meat, as i love rabbit meat. but i have always hated the idea of raising them in small cages. is this a good method of raising them? i mean its better for the animals but what about health wise, i here they can get nasty parasites. and that every thing is natural to some extent. the only issue i guess i would have is butchering them (in the cages i mean they just sit there from birth to death) maybe just using a .22lr would solve the butchering aspect. but i love rabbit meat :) .

Back
Top Bottom