Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
although, if the company is deleting card numbers from their system as orders are shipped, that is actually a good protective measure against possible hacking of their site, it would seem to me.
Very true about if it was only after they shipped, but the last time they asked me they hadn't shipped anything so they should of still had mine.

I suspect that all of us waiting for heat plates, whether we ordered back in Feb. when they were back-ordered to March 1 or later are waiting for the same shipment from Holland. I don' t think the March 1 shipment came- that was the impression I got when I talked to someone at Premeir. I am hoping that when that next shipment arrives, all of us who have ordered will be sent our heating plates. What concerns me a little is the multiple requests for card numbers - although, if the company is deleting card numbers from their system as orders are shipped, that is actually a good protective measure against possible hacking of their site, it would seem to me.
goodpost.gif
Great Post!!!

I suspect that all of us waiting for heat plates, whether we ordered back in Feb. when they were back-ordered to March 1 or later are waiting for the same shipment from Holland. I don' t think the March 1 shipment came- that was the impression I got when I talked to someone at Premeir. I am hoping that when that next shipment arrives, all of us who have ordered will be sent our heating plates. What concerns me a little is the multiple requests for card numbers - although, if the company is deleting card numbers from their system as orders are shipped, that is actually a good protective measure against possible hacking of their site, it would seem to me.

I was all set to order this when all the delay started. Glad for me. I'd prefer to buy a heating pad.
lau.gif

What concerns me a little is the multiple requests for card numbers - although, if the company is deleting card numbers from their system as orders are shipped, that is actually a good protective measure against possible hacking of their site, it would seem to me.

I would keep an eye on my account. I do not give out credit information to anyone that calls me and asks for it. There is just no way to know for sure they are who they say they are. Specially since they are calling you multiple times to get the info.

I would keep an eye on my account. I do not give out credit information to anyone that calls me and asks for it. There is just no way to know for sure they are who they say they are. Specially since they are calling you multiple times to get the info.
Abso-lutely!!

Update on heat plate:

I combined all of the5-6 day old chicks, some of which were using a heat lamp, into a regular brooder now with just the plate. They have lots of room to run around. After standing around screaming for a while, they've all figured it out. They'll be running around eating one minute, and then all gone the next. There is no light other than the natural daylight.

So far, so good!

Honestly, I've been nervous about them staying warm enough. There is something so easy about seeing a red glow and being able to instantly see how the chicks are. This is very different and is going to take some getting used to.

One good thing is that the heat plate chicks can tolerate dark right from the start. My 3 week old chicks just about died when I turned their light off to move things around. Because I'm a softie, those guys will have a "night light" FOREVER because of that panic when the lights go out.
idunno.gif
I also wonder if the heat lamp doesn't condition them to need it extra warm, too.

Update on heat plate:

I combined all of the5-6 day old chicks, some of which were using a heat lamp, into a regular brooder now with just the plate. They have lots of room to run around. After standing around screaming for a while, they've all figured it out. They'll be running around eating one minute, and then all gone the next. There is no light other than the natural daylight.

So far, so good!

Honestly, I've been nervous about them staying warm enough. There is something so easy about seeing a red glow and being able to instantly see how the chicks are. This is very different and is going to take some getting used to.

One good thing is that the heat plate chicks can tolerate dark right from the start. My 3 week old chicks just about died when I turned their light off to move things around. Because I'm a softie, those guys will have a "night light" FOREVER because of that panic when the lights go out.
idunno.gif
I also wonder if the heat lamp doesn't condition them to need it extra warm, too.
Indeed!

I received an email back from Premier regarding my question regarding ambient temperature since the Brinsea is only good to 50 degrees F. After not getting a response I emailed them again and they finally were able to get the info from the manufacturer. This is the reply:

Hello Penny,

Below is the information that we received from the manufacturer in response to your question.

Thank you for your e-mail.
In general the heating plates are good for any temperature but of course somewhere is a minimum. The insulation (PU) is the best and very little heat escape from the top.
Personally I suggest to say that the room temperature should not be below 0°C (so 32°F).
First of all the water will freeze because outside the heating plate it is not heated.
Second for the small chicks it will be too cold to leave the heating plate.
The ones from Brinsea need a minimum temperature of 10°C/50°F.
Note that they have an insulation of EPS. The insulation of EPS is only halve the value of PU with the same thickness.
This means the ones from Brinsea need a higher room temperature to keep warm.
Really if you check the quality of the ones from Brinsea and compare with ours, the difference is huge. Also the price is almost double.
When you want to measure the temperature note that only a Infra-Red thermometer will work to do it.
This will give you a good indication of the surface temperature. Note that testing with a normal thermometer does not work.

Hope this helps. Thanks

So it looks like the Premier heat plate would work in outdoor brooders as long as the temperatures are above freezing.

Penny

Update on heat plate:

@SIMZ Remind me - which size did you get and how many chicks are now using it?

Back
Top Bottom