Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
Premiere netting is a decent product. I'd be hesitant about spending $100 for a plate that only has a 1 year warranty, and takes up more brooder space. If light isn't desirable, just use a ceramic heat emitter instead of a light bulb.
I tested a heat emitter. It is so hot that it would kill any chick that touched it. Not to mention burning anything it fell on.

And it didn't emit enough heat to keep an "area" warm unless I put it almost to the floor. It was the 250 watt one. Too close to the chicks for my comfort level of safety. Besides that, the kiddos could easily fly up and hit it or end up on top of it if there was a kerfuffle. Not safe OR effective in my opinion.

The way the heat plates/brinsea work is that it isn't supposed to be hot under it...as in emitting heat. The chicks are supposed to press up against it to get warm like they would a mamma hen.

Due to how it's designed to work, it shouldn't be very hot to the touch I'd think.

Which one was it that someone said was hotter - the Brinsea or the Premier?

Premier is much hotter. The Brinsea felt like a heating pad to my hand. Hot but comfortable. The premier is uncomfortably hot. I have to fight my instinct to to yank my hand away. It didn't burn my skin, but was not pleasant.

I, myself, would create such a thing with the use of a heating pad and some fencing wire for shaping and holding off the bedding. Cheap, effective, not dangerous and not going to be a fire or chick hazard. And costs around $15...but I already have one, so it's free.

I tested a heat emitter. It is so hot that it would kill any chick that touched it. Not to mention burning anything it fell on.
I've never had that problem. Of course, I don't use cheap ones. If the heat element is a risk of falling on chicks, you might consider a better lamp that is more secure.

Last edited:
We're a little off topic, as this thread is about the Premier Heating Plate. I have my own reasons for choosing heat plates over lamps, as I'm sure others do. If someone wants to start a thread on that, by all means, start one and we can discuss it over there. :D

Ok his final ruling: (lol) He said that it stung his skin after awhile, but it didn't burn. He said he thinks that with down/feathers their skin wouldn't even touch it and they wouldn't have a problem. A thermometer laying beneath is showed around 96 degrees on the ground. Our eggs will hatch around Feb 7, so I'll keep you posted.

caf.gif
I know I'll be watching.

Ok his final ruling: (lol) He said that it stung his skin after awhile, but it didn't burn. He said he thinks that with down/feathers their skin wouldn't even touch it and they wouldn't have a problem. A thermometer laying beneath is showed around 96 degrees on the ground. Our eggs will hatch around Feb 7, so I'll keep you posted.

Can't wait to hear how the chicks like it! It did seem pretty hot, but I was able to keep my hand on it after an hour of calibration, although it was slightly uncomfortable. No burning!

Back
Top Bottom