Is attitude any indication of gender?

RosemaryDuck

Crowing
Dec 15, 2020
Florida
So, I know it's basically a waiting game with EEs to see what they are, but my 2 chicks are the complete opposites of each other 😅.

Scramble is very stubborn and will actually peck me and almost puff up her chest at me when I have my hands near. Today when I was cleaning the brooder I had the door open and she jumped straight out at me and I caught her. She's definitely not afraid of anything. Thinking she is probably a he.

Omelette is very laid back, and doesn't seem to care about much. No attitude and just seems like a pretty normal chick.

I've raised chicks many times over the years but never had one that really stood out so young. Is it usually a sign that they're a roo?

Last summer I had a black sex link pullet that would have made me think she was a cockerel had she not been a bsl.

At about 16 weeks, she started charging at me, all fluffed up and doing that "oh no you didn't " head bobbing stuff. She tried going for my feet when I was filling the waterer, so I just dumped the 2+ gallons of water that was in my bucket on her. Changed her attitude quickly and she stopped acting like a butt. She found out I am at the top of the pecking order, not her.

I agree with "maybe." When picking out chicks I specifically avoid any that are too bold, friendly, upright... doesn't mean those are males, but since sexed pullets still have a 10% oops rate, I figure it's best to try to avoid any signs that would indicate more likelihood of a chick being a mis-sexed male.

Back
Top Bottom