Is Auto-Sexing retained when you cross two sex-links?

cluckingheck

i wanna be a cowboy, baby ( HELL YEAH )
Jun 15, 2020
TyCo, West Virginia
Okay, so, my broody just hatched her first chick today and I know it came from an ISA brown egg. However, I am shaky on who the dad is ( I have multiple roos ) but I do think it is one of my black sex-links ( BR/RIR ). The chick came out white/yellow with a few black spots here and there. I know if this was an ISA brown chick, it would be a cockerel. Though, since this chick is likely a product of two sex-links ( or at least one ), does the auto-sexing still apply?

the only other dads are a cuckoo maran cross ( black sex-link too? ) and a black australorp.

Attachments

• A33B2646-58DF-495E-A908-0007FC9B6126.jpeg
    A33B2646-58DF-495E-A908-0007FC9B6126.jpeg
    365.7 KB · Views: 34
  • B9101B99-2F6B-4F1B-B7BE-233E9EA8260C.jpeg
    B9101B99-2F6B-4F1B-B7BE-233E9EA8260C.jpeg
    528.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 9C211D14-AC17-4A36-9BCB-CC07DA3BA854.jpeg
    9C211D14-AC17-4A36-9BCB-CC07DA3BA854.jpeg
    421.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 1D3C08FD-B20E-498D-AD61-CAD029159DBD.jpeg
    1D3C08FD-B20E-498D-AD61-CAD029159DBD.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 4
  • AB1A3C90-3442-4AE1-8929-D1E227C21AC3.jpeg
    AB1A3C90-3442-4AE1-8929-D1E227C21AC3.jpeg
    723.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DAA67835-0B8B-4EDE-AC0A-A61C8D4B076C.jpeg
    DAA67835-0B8B-4EDE-AC0A-A61C8D4B076C.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 4
Auto sexing is not retained in second generation birds. Autosexing breeds such as red or black sex links are specific crosses for first generation birds.

There's only a few true sexing breeds and you have to breed within the breed to retain that.

Auto sexing is not retained in second generation birds. Autosexing breeds such as red or black sex links are specific crosses for first generation birds.

There's only a few true sexing breeds and you have to breed within the breed to retain that.
okay, I thought that was the case but I wasn’t sure. I know sex-links don’t breed true and to me I didn’t think the auto-sexing would still apply to the second generation. But thank you, I was wanting confirmation

okay, I thought that was the case but I wasn’t sure. I know sex-links don’t breed true and to me I didn’t think the auto-sexing would still apply to the second generation. But thank you, I was wanting confirmation
Autosexing and sexlinked hybrids are 2 entirely different things! You are dealing with sexlinked hybrids and the previous posts are correct that the only work in the first generation. Anyone else think that may be why the commercial hatcheries promote them so much, since you can't easily make more?
Autosexing refers to a specific combination of genes that are perpetuated across generations. This combination is often called "Crele" and consists of wild type chick down (chipmunk stripes, like a Welsummer or Brown Leghorn) and sexlinked barring, like from a barred rock.
I have extensive experience with autosexing breeds (Cream Legbars, Welbars, Bielefelders, Rhodebars) and can attest that they can be crossed freely and will retain all their autosexing characteristics. I have done this for years to create autosexing Olive Eggers, which are very popular with my customers. I simple keep Cream Legbar pullets in my Welbar pen and mark them to hatch separately as Olive Eggers. They are 100% sexable at hatch. I am not working with a second generation of an olive egger cross, and those sex easily also.
If you'd like to see pics of autosexing breeds, check out my website, welbars.com

Autosexing and sexlinked hybrids are 2 entirely different things! You are dealing with sexlinked hybrids and the previous posts are correct that the only work in the first generation. Anyone else think that may be why the commercial hatcheries promote them so much, since you can't easily make more?
Autosexing refers to a specific combination of genes that are perpetuated across generations. This combination is often called "Crele" and consists of wild type chick down (chipmunk stripes, like a Welsummer or Brown Leghorn) and sexlinked barring, like from a barred rock.
I have extensive experience with autosexing breeds (Cream Legbars, Welbars, Bielefelders, Rhodebars) and can attest that they can be crossed freely and will retain all their autosexing characteristics. I have done this for years to create autosexing Olive Eggers, which are very popular with my customers. I simple keep Cream Legbar pullets in my Welbar pen and mark them to hatch separately as Olive Eggers. They are 100% sexable at hatch. I am not working with a second generation of an olive egger cross, and those sex easily also.
If you'd like to see pics of autosexing breeds, check out my website, welbars.com
Thanks for the knowledge. I'm getting some German Bielefelders and I have what I'm pretty sure are Olive Eggers. You can see the barring in their feathers and a couple have the crests like a CCL. So if I later mate my Bielefelder roo with one of the OE hens, the chicks will be autosexing. Am I correct?

Thanks for the knowledge. I'm getting some German Bielefelders and I have what I'm pretty sure are Olive Eggers. You can see the barring in their feathers and a couple have the crests like a CCL. So if I later mate my Bielefelder roo with one of the OE hens, the chicks will be autosexing. Am I correct?
Maybe or maybe not.
Depends on what genes they carry.
Do you have a pic of your OEs?

Back
Top Bottom