Is Aviverm Safe for Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Silver Bantam, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Just discovered my chickens have a heavy worm burden (poor things! [​IMG]), so we bought some Aviverm bird wormer stuff to pour in their water.

I have a hen with four chicks at the moment though, and was just wondering if it's safe to worm them along with the hen? I really need to, or find a solution if not, as the hen has worms too.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. caboodleschicks

caboodleschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    South Carolina
    Try some Diatomaceous Earth, just make sure it is food-grade. You can find it fairly-cheap at TSC, but it is a big bag. My chickens eat it and they haven't had a problem with worms and it is also safe for chicks! :) I give it to my chickens as a dust bath and they eat some of it! :)

http://www.bootsandchickenpoop.wix.com./mysite

3. Thanks for that, @caboodleschicks [​IMG]

I don't think the chicks have worms, just the mummy hen really needs to be dosed asap. I feel so bad they all got left for that long with so many worms without us even realising [​IMG]

What I might try is just putting a waterer up high so the chicks can't reach, and dose that water for mrs hen. Hopefully she'll drink it? Otherwise I could try spooning it into her.

4. caboodleschicks

Feb 17, 2017
    South Carolina
    You're welcome! [​IMG] Hopefully you get rid of the worms! :D

5. caboodleschicks

Feb 17, 2017
    South Carolina
    Oh, and about the idea.

That's a great idea, so the chicks won't get into the water! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by