Is backyard dirt acceptable as temporary grit?

Sounds like your pasty butt problem is resolving but wanted to chime in incase you have this problem again. You can dab alittle vaseline on the chicks vent and that will help keep poo from sticking to them. I had a chick that had horrific pasty butt, like had I not got the chick it probably would have died in the next few hours, spend a very long time soaking off all the poo dried the chick and the next day its vent was getting covered again so soaked it off again then gently rubed alittle vaseline on him and Bam no more problems. Next morning he had alittle bit of poo sticking to his feathers but his vent remained clear so he could poop properly and another day later and he was perfect.

And remember chickens live outside in the dirt :p. When hens hatch chicks and she takes them out of the nest for the first time they start eating all kinds of things on the ground.

The sand outside, I'm assuming is construction sand, because they were using it to coat the blocks in my foundation. But they've been doing ok with the little bit of dirt I put in there.

The pasty butt does seem to be resolving itself, however I think I have another problem. Their poo color doesn't match the pics I've seen of coccidosis, it doesn't have mucous, and it's not bright red, but it's kind of a cross between a wine color and dirty rust, and sometimes watery. They aren't acting sick though, and they went into a much larger box last night...

I have no advice to offer on your questions, but you do have my empathy. I just started with chickens in April, and I just hatched my first babies 2 weeks ago. I am 100% guilty of thinking too much!!! In my previous life, I was a pediatrician. I was so good at reassuring new moms about all their worries... Now I am the nervous (chick) mom, thinking every small thing is a giant malady... We’ll both learn and look back on our “chicken youth” with a smile!

Photos of the poop?
If you have been giving them dirt, then could the color of the poop be related to that:)
When mine eat ash, dirt, greens, etc., the color of the poop can change.

If they are running around, active, eating/drinking, pooping with no problems, then you are fine.
I understand, it's first time jitters!

Let's talk poop just a little more - chickens have 2 types of poop. One is "normal" - this is "formed" usually with a white cap. The other is "cecal" this is a loose (and sometimes) runny pudding like, stinky, sticky poop. Both poops can vary in size, color, texture, etc.
You are doing fine. I go not only by poop, but by behavior as well. You are paying attention, so if anything is amiss, I'm sure you will see it.

Photos of the poop?
If you have been giving them dirt, then could the color of the poop be related to that:)
When mine eat ash, dirt, greens, etc., the color of the poop can change.

If they are running around, active, eating/drinking, pooping with no problems, then you are fine.
I understand, it's first time jitters!

Let's talk poop just a little more - chickens have 2 types of poop. One is "normal" - this is "formed" usually with a white cap. The other is "cecal" this is a loose (and sometimes) runny pudding like, stinky, sticky poop. Both poops can vary in size, color, texture, etc.
You are doing fine. I go not only by poop, but by behavior as well. You are paying attention, so if anything is amiss, I'm sure you will see it.
IMG_20181122_083003.jpg

Idk if it's a clear enough pic, but as they usually do, one of them went as soon as I changed the bedding. The dropping fell behind the paper towel. The rest of the droppings don't have that color, though they have been pudding like.

View attachment 1596975
Idk if it's a clear enough pic, but as they usually do, one of them went as soon as I changed the bedding. The dropping fell behind the paper towel. The rest of the droppings don't have that color, though they have been pudding like.
Can you get a clearer photo of that?

This is what I do with mine. They have chick grit first thing, but within the first week they get a pan of dirt (sifted from my run) plus a plug of sod or dandelion (whatever is growing at the time). I add ash and chick grit to the mix as well.

They are a couple of weeks here and already outside in the grow out "house" in March, they love to dig in a pan of dirt, it gets re-sifted and added to for another week or so until I let them in their run.

upload_2018-11-22_8-46-33.png

upload_2018-11-22_8-46-47.png

This is what I do with mine. They have chick grit first thing, but within the first week they get a pan of dirt (sifted from my run) plus a plug of sod or dandelion (whatever is growing at the time). I add ash and chick grit to the mix as well.

They are a couple of weeks here and already outside in the grow out "house" in March, they love to dig in a pan of dirt, it gets re-sifted and added to for another week or so until I let them in their run.

View attachment 1596985

View attachment 1596986

IMG_20181122_085959.jpg

It sort of makes me think of a drop of blood from constipation, but as I was cleaning the brooder just now, I noticed that the underside of the paper towels were dotted that color.

IMG_20181122_090549.jpg

It seems like it comes out like pudding and dries like this. Some of them have white caps though.

It's hard to tell from the picture I think, but it's that wine/rust color. The poo itself is brown though. Perhaps it's nothing. It's 80 on the one side of the brooder, and they only go under it to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom