Is backyard dirt acceptable as temporary grit?

Lol, that's why I'm so paranoid with these birds. I literally can not afford to lose any. I only bought one roo and my thinking was backwards. I'd never bought chickens, let alone online, and I was afraid of buying a dozen and losing them all in shipping, and thus, wasted money, so I only bought a few. In hindsight, I probably should have bought more, and then wouldn't have to worry as much about losses.

Lol, that's why I'm so paranoid with these birds. I literally can not afford to lose any. I only bought one roo and my thinking was backwards. I'd never bought chickens, let alone online, and I was afraid of buying a dozen and losing them all in shipping, and thus, wasted money, so I only bought a few. In hindsight, I probably should have bought more, and then wouldn't have to worry as much about losses.

I am so paranoid about losing the ones I really want, even as adults. I have seven Tom Turkeys and about 20 roosters extra. I have found if I get down to just one of any variety or breed, it will die and I will not have a quality male to service my hens and my chicks will be sub-par.

I am so paranoid about losing the ones I really want, even as adults. I have seven Tom Turkeys and about 20 roosters extra. I have found if I get down to just one of any variety or breed, it will die and I will not have a quality male to service my hens and my chicks will be sub-par.

See, I'm afraid of having more than one breed because I don't want to....dilute my dual purpose chickens, if that makes sense. If a buff breeds with a silkie, the babies aren't dual purpose anymore, right? I don't have enough room to have separate flocks.

it is cheaper than buying grit
Chicken grit is pretty cheap. I got about 2 gallons of it from feed mill for like $5, sifted it thru a colander with 1/8" holes for some chick sized grit. Won't have to buy that again, like, ever. Cheap insurance on my sandy soil.

I also dig a chunk of sod to put in the brooder at about 1 week, sprinkle some chick grit over it. Even if you're not feeding anything but chick feed, it helps develop their gizzards.
http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf

Chicken grit is pretty cheap. I got about 2 gallons of it from feed mill for like $5, sifted it thru a colander with 1/8" holes for some chick sized grit. Won't have to buy that again, like, ever. Cheap insurance on my sandy soil.

I also dig a chunk of sod to put in the brooder at about 1 week, sprinkle some chick grit over it. Even if you're not feeding anything but chick feed, it helps develop their gizzards.
http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf

I get about 6 gallons of the gravel for 2 bucks,,,,,,,,,,, living on a pension I need to watch those pennies....

I get them on dirt as soon as I can for the same reason and it aids in digesting (in my mind).....

See, I'm afraid of having more than one breed because I don't want to....dilute my dual purpose chickens, if that makes sense. If a buff breeds with a silkie, the babies aren't dual purpose anymore, right? I don't have enough room to have separate flocks.

I have breeding cages and pens, So while they are one flock most the year, I separate them out during breeding time. I luckily have enough room to do that. I have around 100 chickens and 30 turkeys all in one building right now.

I have breeding cages and pens, So while they are one flock most the year, I separate them out during breeding time. I luckily have enough room to do that. I have around 100 chickens and 30 turkeys all in one building right now.

Forgive me for sounding like an idiot, but you keep the roosters separate until you want them to breed?

Personally, I let all mine free range together during the winter when not breeding. But this spring I will isolate the ones I want to breed into breeding pens set up for 1 rooster and several hens.
But that's just how I usually do it.

No, I only allow the hens I want to breed, and the roosters I want to breed to be together during the time I am breeding them. During the summer everything except the show birds free range.
Oh ok.... so if I wanted to buy random chicken breeds I'd keep them separate from the orpingtons.... the barnyard mix is the Heinz 57 of chickens.... the mutts, lol. But depending on how many square feet I give them, I'm maxed out at 12-24 birds, so I'm not sure how to set it up so they'd be separate. I don't think I have a big enough yard.

Back
Top Bottom