Is bamboo harmful to chickens?

If it's a truly local nursery, with a good owner/manager/employees, those are often the best sorts to ask about what kind will work best for you! I love this one little place near us that is far from the largest, but they really have the right people to ask for the area.

I have a many types of clumping bamboo that grow well here in the Pacific NW and I have three types in my yard and one that is not clumping. I adore growing it because it has so many uses!

glad it is ok for chickens as I did not even think about it and tossed it in the pen to let them play and scratch around in it.

I figured it was safe I eat the shoots and love them

I am a big fan of bamboo but it can be very invasive so be careful! mine is mostly contained on tiers

it is self mulching and no weeds grow under it I also trim the poles each year of the side growth the poles get bigger and bigger then you can use them for arbors, trellis' , for peas and beans, even for fishing!

just be careful where you plant it clumping or not it is a pain in the butt to dig up !!!

I have a large copse of bamboo in my backyard, and we recently cut some to use in making raised beds, the tops and leaves were run through the chipper/shredder and I threw some into the chicken run, thinking it would make great mulch! Well, my hens decided it was good food - and they loved it! Now, I just throw in a couple of handfulls everyonce in a while for fresh greens - I hear it's high in protein, although I haven't looked it up to see.

Find a place that deals in bamboo. Its there business to know there product.

When it comes to buying plants online search the company name online. Unfortunately there is an epidemic of bad people in the trade . One of the worst is in Georgia
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom