Is Barrier Louse Powder suitable?

acrossland

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
Over the past few days, my hens have been lying down preening their feathers a lot of the time, even in the cold. I was curious to see if there was a reason for this, and found several tiny orange/brown parasites on my hens' feathers. After looking it up, I came to the conclusion that they were probably lice and we bought something to clean out the house and repel the lice, and Barrier Louse Powder. We examined the tub and it said:

'It successfully rids animals, including Cattle, Horses, Goats, Rabbits and other small pets of both Sucking and Biting Lice.'

We assumed that 'other small pets' would probably include chickens, but about half an hour ago I looked the product up on the internet and found this on the Barrier Biotech website under the product description:

'Not suitable to use on Birds because the powder will not hold in feathers.'

We've already used it a few hours ago and it seems to be holding in their feathers fine; it's still fairly visible because their feathers have a slightly whiter powdery colour due to the product.

Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether these can be potentially harmful to my hens and whether it will do the job of removing the lice. We put some in their bedding (wood shavings) and in the laying boxes (straw-filled) too because apparently the lice are often transmitted between hens via the laying boxes.

This is the webpage for the product:
http://www.barrier-biotech.com/product.php?pid=LP

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom