Is breeding illegal in NC?

greyartist

Songster
10 Years
Jan 22, 2010
NC
I contacted my county extension agent about selling a few dz eggs from the farm and also asked about selling chicks. Because I want to start raising some pure breed and it would seem a natural progression to sell fertile eggs and chicks when I get a good flock going. But he sent me this in an email and it seems to say it would be illegal to sell chicks. ???

NC General Statutes - Chapter 14 Article 47 1 Article 47
§ 14-363.1. Living baby chicks or other fowl, or rabbits under eight
weeks of age; disposing of as pets or novelties forbidden.
If any person, firm or corporation shall sell, or offer for sale, barter
or give away as premiums living baby chicks, ducklings, or other fowl or
rabbits under eight weeks of age as pets or novelties, such person, firm
or corporation shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.
Provided, that nothing contained in this section shall be construed to
prohibit the sale of nondomesticated species of chicks, ducklings, or
other fowl, or of other fowl from proper brooder facilities by
hatcheries or stores engaged in the business of selling them for
purposes other than for pets or novelties. (1973, c. 466, s. 1; 1985
(Reg. Sess., 1986), c. 967, s. 4; 1993,
c. 539, s. 245; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

welcome-byc.gif
You can Breed and Hatch Chicks, but you cant sell them until they are at least eight weeks old.

That says as pets or novelties it would be a class C misdemeanor. If you sell them as livestock to a farmer it is legal. I hate those things where you gotta read between the lines...lol. Probably wouldn't be smart to sell any colored chicks, but farm supply chicks are okay according to my understanding of what is posted.

That statute referes to fowl and rabbits sold as pets or novelties.

You can sell them as day olds and up. All you need is a Chick Dealers License ($10/yr) and/or a Hatching Egg Dealers License ($10/yr). Call the Dept of Agr, they'll mail or email you the forms. It's VERY easy, all you have to do is complete the form and mail it in with payment. There's no inspection involved or anything else required. (All the state actually wants is a cheap way to make a buck in the licensing fee.)

You do have keep records of how many you sell.

Honestly, an extension agent ought to be more knowledgeable about something so basic. Geez!

You can sell up to 30 dz table eggs/week on-farm or off-farm (for example at farmers markets or in stores). You must label them with your name/address. You must also label them as "ungraded" unless you candle and weigh them to sort by size.

hmmm, checking the NCDA&CS website, it looks like the chick dealer license, $10 lets you sell chicks that are hatched by someone else, the chick hatchery license, $25 lets you sell ones you have hatched and you are subject to an inspection and you must meet their guidelines. Sounds like cutting out the little guy to me. I guess I could just offer 8 week old "started pullets and be in the clear.

Any establishment that operates hatchery equipment for the production of baby chicks shall be considered a Chicken Hatchery.

All baby chicks and hatching eggs produced, sold or offered for sale shall originate in flocks that meet the requirements of the national poultry improvement plan as administered by the North Carolina Departmentof Agriculture.

Any person, firm or corporation that buys baby chicks or turkey poults and sells or offers them for sale shall be considered a Chick Dealer.

All baby chicks and turkey poults produced, sold or offered for sale shall originate in flocks that meet the requirements of the national poultry improvement plan as administered by the North Carolina Department of Agriculture.

http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/VetLicenses.htm

Most states all chicks sold must be from NPIP flocks. Here in Ohio it is illegal to buy or sell less than 6 chicks(good law , keeps people from buying one or 2 pet chicks)Where they get chilled and die.

Funny how many people I sell chicks too, when I tell them they need heat. Oh i will keep them in the house, fine if you keep your house temp at 95 degree

Wow, sounds like you can't do anything with any chickies under 8 weeks. Maybe that's based on feathering, and/or ability to sex?

In our town's codes the only mention of chicks is that you can't dye them and you can't ship less than five. Both sound like good ideas to me, for the sake of the chicks, so I don't resent those two bits at all.

But, I don't see why you couldn't sell fertile eggs. Those are not live birds, so this particular rule couldn't apply to them. But, that's just my take. It'd be worth it to double check.

Quote:
Main reason you cant sell fertile eggs, diseases that NPIP test for can be passed from hens to chicks thru the egg. Again most states you can sell and shipping hatching eggs from only NPIP test floocks

Back
Top Bottom