Breeding Cornish X and other projects. I know nothing!

Theres nothing wrong with that at all, but I do want to keep some of the quick growth that the Cornish will provide. Do you think the cross my sustain some of that?
I'm willing to get other breeds so that I can have interesting crosses, but using breeds I already have is nice as well.
I don’t know, they might.
@Molpet you did something with cornish cross, can you help?

There's a bunch of us that used CX in a breeding program for sustainable meat mutts.
I kept a CX pullet and put a random mix roo I picked up off FB. She laid a couple months and quit for winter. She died before she was laying again, around a year old.
I got 3 cockerels and 1 pullet out of her. The pullet laid double yolks. I used 2 of the cockerels. The 3rd the hens didn't like. They lived 1&1/2-2&1/2 years.
Hens used were br and bjg, their CX mix cockerels dressed out 5 to 7 lbs at 16 weeks. I bred the offspring together for a couple years. I got a heritage dark Cornish roo in the mix for some new genes since everyone is related.

Theres nothing wrong with that at all, but I do want to keep some of the quick growth that the Cornish will provide. Do you think the cross my sustain some of that?
I'm willing to get other breeds so that I can have interesting crosses, but using breeds I already have is nice as well.
I Was thinking about adding rangers or colored broiler into the mix next.

Thank you @Molpet and @MysteryChicken for the ideas. Of course, all of my breeding projects count on the business taking, and being able to revamp my run soon to create "breeding pens". I'm hoping by next summer I'll be able to work on some crosses so we'll see how it goes. Thanks again everyone, this is great info!

Back
Top Bottom