Is breeding illegal in NC?

Carol, I work for a State Government. So hopefully I can give you a little bit of an inside peak at what might be going on.
It is Easter Time and it is very likely the person you are contacting has been answering thousands of questions about Chicks and Bunnies at Easter time. It reaches the point that you stop even reading the e-mails. you scan them get the idea that they are about chicks and send out the appropriate seasonal e-mail. I am sure they have several like the one about like reindeer in front yards at Christmas.
The truth is nobody within the government is responsible for you to know the law in regard to your activities. In fact where I work we are specifically forbidden to give any information of a legal nature. I cannot even suggest where you could go find the information. people tend to say things like,"well he told me I could" so we are not able to say anything at all. I can tell you to contact animal control, USFW, or the department of fish and game. that is all. I cannot even say you will get answers there I can only suggest you contact them.

It is probably a law that the hatcheries got passed to cut small dealers out. It goes along with all the other laws and regulations about small scale farming/selling practices across the country that benefit large scale agriculture and discriminate against any small scale operations. Don't get me started.

Quote:
No the hatcheriers , made alot of sale around easter time selling their surplus cockeral. These laws were past becauuse millions of these chicks died, from new ower without knownledge of how to care for a dayold chick. Mosy died soon after getting home(if they made it home) from chilling.....

Have seen at swap round easter time ,small breeders sellig a single dayold chick for a 1.00. Some people will do anything to make a dollar. Heck would be hard for a person to get a single day day old chick home without heat......

so YES these are good laws for all........

Me and my brothers got these free chicks as boys, Dad knew alot about chicken, so we never lost any(except when they went to the table). Knew many kids lost their chicks,within a few days.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm wondering if the "or stores engaged in the business of selling them" could be construed such that if you set up a home-based store, maybe use paypal to take payments for people who want to use debit/credit, they wouldn't be able to harass you?

wink.png
All right I am going to show my age here. I live in N.C. and when I was say 7 and 12 the dime stores and the hardware stores always had free chicks to their customers if they bought something. If you did not buy anything you could still get a dyed baby chick or duck for like a dime for the chick and 25 cent for the duck. I guess it's like at the county fair when you win the goldfish. I am sure that thousands and thousands of chicks died that way just like the goldfish still do. I raised rabbits when I was young say around 13 to 17. My family refused to sell rabbits around Easter. We made sure we did not breed the doe around that time so we did not even have to worry about it. I loved breeding rabbits and would have continued to do so but a tornado hit our place and there were rabbits everywhere for a time. It demolished our home and my pens so I sold what I could keep the neighbours dogs from killing and sold them to a friend.
One of the posters above mentioned that people sell them on craigslist. They are right. I see it every time I look on there. I also see people selling them at several live stock places and auction houses. They have eggs, chicks and adults. I have seen it and I have even sold extras there and I have never been asked anything other than my name address and how will you be paying. Later, Dave

Quote:
No the hatcheriers , made alot of sale around easter time selling their surplus cockeral. These laws were past becauuse millions of these chicks died, from new ower without knownledge of how to care for a dayold chick. Mosy died soon after getting home(if they made it home) from chilling.....

Have seen at swap round easter time ,small breeders sellig a single dayold chick for a 1.00. Some people will do anything to make a dollar. Heck would be hard for a person to get a single day day old chick home without heat......

so YES these are good laws for all........

Me and my brothers got these free chicks as boys, Dad knew alot about chicken, so we never lost any(except when they went to the table). Knew many kids lost their chicks,within a few days.

If that is the case, then it is a good thing. I saw the post about dyed chicks for Easter too, what an awful thing to do to the little birds. I raise rabbits too and I am very reluctant to sell my extras to people I don't think are going to take proper care of them. It hurts my sales at times, but I just don't like the thought of sending them to certain doom.

Back
Top Bottom