Is broody behavior gradual or sudden?

Her behaviors do indicate she may be going broody. I've only had one pullet go broody at 6 months, but several who have done so at 7-8 months. If she is still laying she's not ready to incubate a clutch yet, but within a few days her hormones will tell her "it's time" and you will find her glued to eggs in a nest. I agree with @Chicks n stuff that winter isn't the best time for a broody to hatch and raise chicks, but if you live in a warmer climate it should be OK.

My "serial" broody (Jubilee Orpington) would walk around making her broody noise for a few days before she sat. Bup-bup-bup-bup, even rhythmic little noise.

I didn't let her hatch any eggs, though I might next spring. I made a point of stroking her feathers and talking softly to her while she was sitting on the nest several times while she was still laying. When I figured she was "doing it again(!)" I let her sit until later in the day before I moved her to the breaker crate. I went out and petted her several times that day.

Hopefully, she will be a friendly-ish broody. :)

Yes and no, haha. It's just now getting cold in my part of the world and my girls are only 6 and a half months old, but one of them is acting funny. When I catch her sitting she dinos (screams and fluffs all over), when other hens go to lay she dinos at them, and when she's out and about her default noise is now the dino sound minus as much fluff. She isn't glued to the box and still laid an egg today, but nobody acts at all like her even when I'm stealing eggs right in front of them. Maybe it's just her personality to be protective on the nest? But the behavior has been getting more noticeable for around a week...
How long has she been laying?
Could just be new layer hormone surges.

The longer I've had chickens and the more broodies I've dealt with the faster I recognize broodiness. Some go all of a sudden with no prior warnings, others cluck and fluff for days or weeks before settling in.

What an interesting topic.
The early warning sign is they start eating more ime. This usually happens before they claim the nest and before the body builder impersonations.:D

Here's a thought though. I've observed hens change the place they lay their eggs after maybe months of laying in one particular location and then sit and hatch in the new location. It seems from the behavioural science studies that chickens are quite capable of planning. Suppose they know they are going to try and hatch before they lay the first egg.

How long has she been laying?
Could just be new layer hormone surges.
Good question and great point. I first caught her in the act a month ago today, although I can't guarantee it hasn't been a bit longer. Her eggs still seem very small to me (if I'm correctly identifying hers), like most of her sisters, which is another reason I should probably be hoping she's not serious about a hatch right now.

Good question and great point. I first caught her in the act a month ago today, although I can't guarantee it hasn't been a bit longer. Her eggs still seem very small to me (if I'm correctly identifying hers), like most of her sisters, which is another reason I should probably be hoping she's not serious about a hatch right now.
She might just be a drama queen.
Pullet eggs can take months to get up to that birds 'normal' size.
You don't need to let her set, you can always break her.

Just a bit of an update. She's been sitting most or all of the morning like this:

Dinosaur Impression

Not convinced she'll "stick" to it but she's definitely putting on a good show...
Yep she's broody! I predict she will "stick to it."
Now your decision is, are you going to take her to broody breaker jail, or her or let her hatch?

If you decide to let her hatch, keep in mind you don't have to give her her own smaller eggs. No matter what nest box holding which eggs my broodies decide to incubate, I always remove those eggs and select the ones I want her to hatch.

It seems from the behavioural science studies that chickens are quite capable of planning. Suppose they know they are going to try and hatch before they lay the first egg.
I love that you said that. I have several hens that I've sworn are able to "will" their broody hormones into existence, but ive never seen it stated in writing until now. Those hens act as if their whole purpose in life is to hatch and raise chicks. I didn't let any broodies hatch chicks this year because I'm trying to get my numbers down. An Australorp holds the current record amongst my broodies, she went broody SIX times this year. The 5th and 6th times were late this summer, with only 2 weeks between episodes. It sure did seem to me she willed those hormones into existence!

Back
Top Bottom