Is bumble foot common? Worried about rooster!

Pics
A simple thing such as a tiny aspirin has performed a transformation on Su-su. A year ago, she would sit in one spot all day, moving appeared too painful. Inactivity isn't good for chickens, just as it's not good for humans. And remaining in one spot made her very vulnerable to bullies and feather pickers.

Lately, I've also been giving her a B-complex tablet each day. This has noticeably strengthened the lame leg so that now she's moving about much more than she sits.
I'll pick up some b complex today, certain mg? My roosters moves a lot . But also falls. Poor girl I wonder what caused her lameness. My dominant hen loves to peak at my roosters comb when she's bored so I'm glad he is moving.... I hate that.... He let's her do it too. She plucks all my other hens neck feathers in the summer time. So she's walking around looking like a Topiarie bush. I wasn't sure if too much activity or no activity would do harm. My mom said the same as you about inactivity. ..

Have you ever considered CBD oil? Just curious, I've not had reason to use it on a chicken (yet) but I do use it on my dog who has developed terrible arthritis in her hips. She was barely moving, had great difficultly getting up, and had a lot of atrophy in her hips and legs. I was really reluctant to do rimadyl long term, so tried CBD. She has regained a lot of muscle mass and walks normally and jumps on the bed again, all within about 4 months. I know it's safe for chickens as they did studies to see if it affected laying and egg quality. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22334746
I give my dog 20 drops twice a day mixed in her food (we are currently seeing if we can reduce that a bit or not- she's about 65 lbs.) so I imagine a chicken would need much less. Just thought I'd throw that out there as it doesn't come with the long term digestive issues that aspirin/nsaids can. Aspirin may be cheaper, I'd have to do the math to see how many doses could be gotten from a bottle of CBD to compare.
No, I never thought about it for my chickens, but that's crazy you mentioned it because my vet put my female pit on remadyl for her bad hip and I didn't like what I read about the remadyl, so I actually looked into cbd for dogs only and it was kinda outrageous, so are you using the human kind? That's a great idea actually! I like the idea of natural more. Seems like it could help with his leg and attitude (hopefully attitude) I may give that a shot too! I want on it for my anxiety issues. Sounds like I need to stock up lol

Back
Top Bottom