Is bumble foot common? Worried about rooster!

Yes, its the same rooster....would I know if his leg was sprained or broken by heat in the leg or swelling? I was reading up on Marek's and his eyes have no grey look to them, not sure if that's a symptom that's always present with that disease? I will definitely video him! I'm his only hope for a home I think. He is not a free range chicken, he gets supervised free time on nice days though. He was dropped off in our woods 3 years ago. I'm assuming because of his aggression. Is mereks deadly?
There are 4 "forms" of Marek's. The one that affects the eyes is called Ocular form.
Marek's can affect the eyes, nervous system, skin and internal organs.

The balance issues are a bit concerning, but if he's been clumsy for a long time, then that may just be the way he is - since he was dumped over 3 yrs ago.

Sometimes a break/sprain can be hard to tell, but yes...check for heat, swelling, etc in his legs. Chickens are warm (at least to me) so you would want to compare the good leg to the bad.

There are 4 "forms" of Marek's. The one that affects the eyes is called Ocular form.
Marek's can affect the eyes, nervous system, skin and internal organs.

The balance issues are a bit concerning, but if he's been clumsy for a long time, then that may just be the way he is - since he was dumped over 3 yrs ago.

Sometimes a break/sprain can be hard to tell, but yes...check for heat, swelling, etc in his legs. Chickens are warm (at least to me) so you would want to compare the good leg to the bad.
Ok thank you so much! I hope it's not Marek's. I would be devastated, I really do love my chickens! No one understands it and I surprised myself over how much I adore and enjoy these chickens of mine. I'll try to get that video tomorrow! He has always been a very clumsy boy :rolleyes: hopefully he checks out fine. I read I can call my local extension office (whatever that is) to see if we have Marek's in our area?

Ok thank you so much! I hope it's not Marek's. I would be devastated, I really do love my chickens! No one understands it and I surprised myself over how much I adore and enjoy these chickens of mine. I'll try to get that video tomorrow! He has always been a very clumsy boy :rolleyes: hopefully he checks out fine. I read I can call my local extension office (whatever that is) to see if we have Marek's in our area?
You should be able to call your local Ag Extension office and they can tell you what illnesses are prevalent in your area.
If he's been clumsy the whole 3 years, then I would say he probably doesn't have Marek's.

Look forward to the video:)

I just wanted to say how much I can relate to you loving your difficult rooster. It is so perplexing and can be a very difficult situation. That’s not to say you should keep him under any circumstance, just that it takes a tender heart to love the “unloveable”.
Awe, thank you so very much! I often feel not understood by a lot of people, I was starting to wonder if I was crazy for loving him lol. But I think that's why I love that rooster so much is because he is "unlovable" I feel sorry for him. Thanks for the kind words . I appreciate that..

Last edited:
Sorry for the poor video quality. I never uploaded a video before . Now it took a ton a videos for me to actually record a stumble or two from him. Excuse my mouthy hen too . She was ready to get out and roam around :bow

Last edited:
Poor boy! My guess is either bumblefoot or he has sprained his ankle or leg. I've dealt with a sprained ankle before.
If it is a sprained ankle, I would give him one baby aspirin (hiding the pill in some type of treat works great!) once a day. That worked for my hen last year :)

Also, I understand you loving him even though he may not be the nicest. I have a rooster that is going to be rehomed soon, he is very rough with the girls. But he was the first chick I hatched at home :oops: so he is still my baby.... anyway I understand :p

Poor boy! My guess is either bumblefoot or he has sprained his ankle or leg. I've dealt with a sprained ankle before.
If it is a sprained ankle, I would give him one baby aspirin (hiding the pill in some type of treat works great!) once a day. That worked for my hen last year :)

Also, I understand you loving him even though he may not be the nicest. I have a rooster that is going to be rehomed soon, he is very rough with the girls. But he was the first chick I hatched at home :oops: so he is still my baby.... anyway I understand :p
Thank you so much! Yeah he is aggressive, he treats me like a rooster that's low on the pecking order ugh...I had him a whole year and we were inseparable that first year, then I got him some hens then a totally different personality came out. I'll check out his feet tomorrow. It's a true chore handling him. He has injured it twice by being crazy and attacking . This latest episode is when I noticed the more than usual limping. One baby aspirin a day then? Did your hen take a long time to heal?

Thank you so much! Yeah he is aggressive, he treats me like a rooster that's low on the pecking order ugh...I had him a whole year and we were inseparable that first year, then I got him some hens then a totally different personality came out. I'll check out his feet tomorrow. It's a true chore handling him. He has injured it twice by being crazy and attacking . This latest episode is when I noticed the more than usual limping. One baby aspirin a day then? Did your hen take a long time to heal?

You're most welcome! :)
I used half of a baby aspirin, but she was small so a whole one should do it for your boy. It took about 5 or 6 weeks until she was completely better. I know you love him, just make sure he doesn't hurt you :)

Back
Top Bottom