is catfood bad for poultry?

Agdketo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 14, 2009
Aledo, Illinois
When we feed the cats, we have to put up the chickens, ducks and geese because they eat it and drive the cats away. Just thought I would get some opinions on this matter.

If i ever have any extra cat food around.. my chickens get it. They're fine... no isues at all.
But they dont get it very often at all.
I wouldnt feed them it every day...

I've been throwing a few handfuls of cat food to my chickens sometimes. I don't feed it all the time, but I definitely use it during molting! It helps to bring their feathers back in really fast and they are so shiny! During molting I will throw a handful or two out on the ground for the whole flock to go after.
wee.gif

The idea of giving poultry cat food grosses me out. lol I've heard that people do it but it never occurred to me to try it. My hens are fed an 18% protein vegetarian diet along with what they forage on pasture and they always have access to oyster shells. The eggs are amazing. I can't imagine eating an egg from a cat food-fed hen. Personally, I'd keep the cat food away from the chickens.

Cat food is fine for yor birds.......Woldn't feed it to them as a sole ration, but like somone above stated it sure helps them pull through the molt with the extra protien.

Cat food is mainly Grain anyway with some fish or meat poduct.
Chickens are omnivores they eat plant and animal.It wont hurt them I feed as a treat.
My goats used to eat the dogfood -its mainly corn and wheat and people wonder why.

Cat food is a good way to get extra protein into the diet during a molt. Since chickens are naturally omniverous adding cat food to the diet makes much more sense than feeding a vegitarian diet.
Cat food is also useful for cage training birds for show.

Back
Top Bottom