Is chicken sick?

dandread

Chirping
Oct 20, 2017
Seattle, WA
we have seven chickens about one year old. Raised them from about 4 weeks old.

We have one chicken acting strange. It is staying away from all the other chickens. Mainly staying in one position.

It let me pick it up with no problem and no signs of injury.

Does nor run to the snacks we put out. Unusual behavior.

BTW it is a red sex link hen.

Not sure how to check the crop.

I should memtion last 5 days only a few eggs from all the chickens.

Thinking because winter time, getting colder and darker.

We are in Seattle

So we came home and all the chickens in their coop including ‘sick one’, laying on top of another one like it normally does.

I saw video on ‘crop checking’. Will check tomorrow but when i picked it up today did not notice anything abnormal.

we have seven chickens about one year old.
How old in months?

When I have a bird that is acting 'off'....
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

The hens are 14 months old.

I have a cage like the one described.

I removed all food from the coop (left water) last night. When I put the food out this morning all the chickens ran to it except this one.

I checked its crop and seems normal. Checked its vent and seems fine (as i put her on her bscj the vent was open). Felt its abdomen and seems fine as I massaged it.

When I pur her in her own cage she did drink water different times but did not touch food.

In an hiur I am going to see if any poop. If not i am going to bring it inside in a warm room, try to get it to sit in a warm tub of water fir awhile and massage it.

Normal in that it did not feel large, felt same as other hens.

How long does it take for a chicken to poop. It has been an hour and no poop.

Back
Top Bottom