Is chicken wire ok for reducing my chain link opening? Updated

Quote:
Well i do know, the coon that attacked our flock did not penetrate the top and we had less reinforced lattice up there at the time of the attack, now we fortified it lol I find it's pretty strong, i mean i was up a on ladder leaning across it to staple gun down the chicken wire to it.. it's screwed down to the 2X8's that are tied down to the actual dog kennel. The lattice is the already put together variety from lowes.. so it's treated lumber.. would you like a better picture?

The cost of hardware cloth is an issue for us as well, a 5ft length that is 3ft high, 1/2 in is about 15$(b4 tx) i'll have to go measure the run but i know it would be costly to recover the entire thing with the cloth instead of the chicken wire. Ok just measured, it's 7.5 by 13...

Last edited:
Quote:
yeah trapping it would be a waste of time, i'm in the country... there will be another lol i just want to bang my head on a wall right now..
he.gif
so basically what i need to do is completely remove all the chicken wire and use hardware cloth instead? is the lattice roof covered in chicken wire enough or does it need stronger to?

no way can i redo all this by myself.. and my helpers are all at work... not to mention financially... cripes it maybe cheaper to just build a run then...
idunno.gif

If you have extra wire, just run along the bottom another layer.

i don't we've used it all.

I would put hot wire around the whole thing. Put the wire about three inches from the ground & then another strand about 18 inches off the ground. Hardware cloth the windows.

Quote:
It's not intended to stop that... although the weasel tribe is not usually THAT inclined to climb unless they really really wanna.

It's intended ONLY as reach-thru prevention, with the assumption generally being that the chickens will be locked indoors at night (which is really about the only time that weasels are out).

Pat

I meant more like if a dog kennel was used as the coop of protection.... So weasels. mink etc wont climb to enter?

Like I said, occasionally they will.

That is why it's not as safe an arrangement for nighttime use.

But, everyone picks their own level of comfort/budget.

Pat

Quote:
I don't want to use hot wire as i have dogs that are loose on occasion and barn cats.. plus my kids.. there are no windows.. it's just a regular chain link dog kennel.

I didn't have time to redo my entire coop/run after coons tore into the chicken wire and killed them. Now I have an electric fence at about 4 and 12 inches around the bottom and for good measure around the top. Fairly cheap and certainly quick alternative. Still saw and caught coons but so far in the last 6 months NOTHING (including the goats, donkey, etc) has messed with it. Starting to think some of the coons have been "trained". Still planning a new coop but happy with the hot wire. Supposedly even a bear can be turned away by electric fence (though hoping not to test THAT).
I unplug it when my toddler is playing around it or other new kids are around, and the dogs only touched it once (I have 3 dogs and many others over the years around hot fence). We've used lots of electric fence over the years without harm to all our cats/dogs/etc. I try to protect the kids until they are at least preschool age as best I can from getting into it.

Last edited:
I have hardware cloth (1/2 x 1/2) around the sides of my coop and run. There are lots or raccoons around there, and as of this date there have been no break ins or signs of
attempts. I will go with hot wire if I have any trouble. It will not take very long before the dog and cat and kids learn not to mess with it.

Quote:
I agree. I usually only have mine on at night because I free range the birds during the day & they go back & forth to the coop to lay eggs.

True, i hadn't thought about turning it only at night neither my barn cats or dogs are out at night... There all happily playing in the pool right now after there 'camp out '
lol.png
in the horse trailer... we need to start building a proper duck house and arm thing like fort knocks...

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree Pat, and pointed out that it will slow them down but not stop them. It would seem the ruckus a coon makes getting thru the chicken wire would alert the chicken or duck to move and will prevent them from poking their heads thru as this thread shows it does not stop the coon.

Back
Top Bottom