Is compost dangerous?

Wabi Sabi

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 28, 2010
I have a sick chicken (see my other post in this forum) and trying to figure out what could be wrong. Saw mentioned somewhere else about not letting your chicken into the compost and it filled me with dread:

Our coop is located right next to my neighbor's compost pile. The chickens are in their run during the day but I let them out a couple of hours each evening to free-range before dusk. The chickens always head STRAIGHT to the compost bins where they peck around and like to take dirt baths.

Unfortunately there isn't a better place to relocate our coop and it isn't realistic to ask my neighbors to cover their compost (they have three large bins made from old pallets that sit right on the property line and they fill them with kitchen scraps, grass and leaves.) There's also no way to realistically keep them out of it without keeping them penned up all the time and that also makes me quite sad. What kind of a life it is being in a pen all the time, even if the pen is spacious?

Thoughts? Is the compost really dangerous and if so, what kind of dangers does it present?

Thanks.

I can't give you a complete answer but I do know one of the main concerns about compost is mold. Wether it's moldy feed that got wet,leaf mold,moldy grass clippings or mold on food left in the fridge too long does not seem to matter. Mold is very bad for chickens.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom