Is Corid a one time TX? What to do AFTER the 5 days????

mooreyolks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
This is a f/u to my thread "bloody poop with photos and chickens not acting sick" well, two of them eventually did get very listless and quit eating, puffed out, etc. It is day #4 on corrid, all 5 of the 8 week old chickens are "back to normal" as fall as I can tell, acting happy, eating, drinking, and no more bloody poops...do I extend the treatment to 7 days for good measure? What do I do after the 5 days of CORID water? Do I prophylax the water from time to time? They are off medicated food and on the next phase for their age. Do I immediately RESTART Corid if I see any more blood? Didn't know if TOO much could hurt them? They got "sick" pretty soon after going off of medicated chick food and moving into their new "outside" coop and run, so I'm sure our soil had something to do with it?? Anyway, SOOOO HAPPY they seem to be recuperated...just not sure how to proceed from here> Thanks!

Corid does not kill all the cocci. It helps them build an immunity to them. Hopefully, they will now have enough immunity to fight them off on their own. Hopefully! What it does is blocks uptake of thiamine, a vitamin, by the cocci. If I really thought they were again getting sick with cocci, I would use it again. You could use dilute ammonia next time you clean your coop as it kills cocci (bleach does not.) Obviously, you're not going to get rid of all the cocci in your soil.

I've never dealt with cocci, myself, only read about it here. I can't remember ever seeing this question before.

The dosing for Corid is 5 days. Stop after that, give vitamins, probiotics and good feed. I use a medicated feed no matter the age if I haven't had the chickens on the gound. You can use the Corid as a security measure. Michael Apple recommends using a half dose of the Corid in their water.

If your birds start showing the symptoms again and you are a week or more away from the first dosing, then you could try another round of the Corid, but if with the second time they don't show improvement fairly quickly I would stop the Corid and switch to Di-Methox. Some of the forms of coccidia are resistant to the amprolium in the Corid and you would need the 'bigger gun' approach to effectivly knock them back.

I am glad the Corid worked and they are doing better now. Isn't it nice when something works?

Corid does not kill all the cocci. It helps them build an immunity to them. Hopefully, they will now have enough immunity to fight them off on their own. Hopefully! What it does is blocks uptake of thiamine, a vitamin, by the cocci. If I really thought they were again getting sick with cocci, I would use it again. You could use dilute ammonia next time you clean your coop as it kills cocci (bleach does not.) Obviously, you're not going to get rid of all the cocci in your soil.

I've never dealt with cocci, myself, only read about it here. I can't remember ever seeing this question before.
Lol, beat me to it! They can also add barn lime to the soil and/or woodash. Both are safe as a topical application on the soil.

Thanks everyone
thumbsup.gif

Been reading all your post, they were very helpful as I am new to chicken owning. I'm asking about what vitamins to give the chickens after corrid and how much and where to get it. Also same about probiotics. The next message mentioned using barn lime. What is this?

A poultry vitamin mix containing all the vitamins put in the water for a week or so is good, since they lose vitamins A and K with the illness. Any probiotic capsules opened on the food would work, and there is one product called Probios that is good. A little plain yogurt has probiotics as well. The danger in using lime in your coop or yard to treat the soil is that there are many types of lime, and most garden center workers can't tell you which ones are safe. Some can be very dangerous. Even reading about them online is confusing.

This is an old post, but it came up and I thought I would add updated information. This is straight from the Corid site. "How CORID works
Structurally, CORID mimics thiamin (Vitamin B1) which is required by coccidia for normal growth and reproduction. When coccidia ingest CORID, they experience thiamin deficiency and starve from malnutrition.
Corid as stated above does not boost immunity.

I also read that supplementing the birds while using Corid may stop the action of starving the cocci. I also read that after the 5 days , reduce the dosage from 2 tsp to 1/2 teaspoon per gal of water for 7 days. I’m treating now at day 5 . I’m also hand feeding 2 of the weaker hens with scrambled eggs and oats once a day , usually at evening before they retire to coop. Today is first day I thought that they were acting more spry but neither ever quit eating or drinking. However I did lose 3 hens before I started using Corid. I’ve never had cocci before so I didn’t know what I was looking at . My poor lost hens 😔

Back
Top Bottom