Is crossbeak genetic?

hippiechick53

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Justin
I'm wondering if crossbeak is genetic. I have two silkies with crossbeak, they are healthy, eat and drink with no problems. But I don't want to breed them if the problem is genetic.

It is probably genetic. But there are some cases where the chicks for some reason develope this in the embrionic stage because of the size of the egg. I personally would never breed a crossbeak.

One of my dark cornish was born with an extremely bad case of crossbeak, everything I read about it said it was genetic and not to breed them.

Thanks for your help. I will probably sell them as pets. They didn't develop the condition until they were 3 months old, which seemed unusual to me.

What is crossbeak? I just noticed my Amerecauna hen's lower beak does not line up with her upper beak, it sort of sits to the side a little bit. Is this crossbeak? She doesn't act like it hurts her, but I haven't noticed it before so I was worried someone attacked her. They all seem to get along superbly, I never see anyone picking on each other, and they are very cuddly at sleeping time, so I have a hard time believing they beat her up... Maybe it's genetic...?

Quote:
Thats crossbeak and it doesnt get better, sometimes it gets worse as time goes by. They end up having trouble eating. Others seem to have no trouble at all. If they do have trouble eating, you can put their food into a deep bowl and they seem to get it better than out of a regular feeder.

Back
Top Bottom