Is deepness of pitch a sign of a rooster?

colmcmanus

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 4, 2013
I recently acquired 6 baby chicks. One has definitely turned out to be a rooster. It may be paranoia, but I'm now worried that another one (easter egger) may be. When I pick her up she lets out a squawk that is deeper in pitch than my other birds. She has not crowed at all. Can that be a sign of a rooster or is it meaningless? I'll post some pictures too. Her feathers are more narrow than my other easter eggers, but they aren't falling like saddle feathers.

The deep voice has nothing to do with gender. My hen has such a grouchy and deep voice she sounds like a grumpy old man!
lau.gif

Thanks this helps put my mind at ease - is the coloring a definite sign of gender regardless of the breed? It's an easter egger, so not sure of the breeds of her parents...? My daughter thinks she has some saddle-like feathers. I can't tell - her feathers seem narrower than my other easter eggers (all 3 are very differently colored)

Thanks! It alleviates some worry. We already have one rooster from that batch (think I found a home for him though - no easy process and quite stressful). Appreciate the response.

Back
Top Bottom