Is diarrhea associated with molting at all?

NHchicks

Songster
May 13, 2010
New Hampshire
3 of my 4 eighteen month old hens are going thru various stages of ugly right now. I noticed this morning that one of them also has diarrhea. Is that something that might be just because she's molting? The 6 month old hens are as beautiful as ever, so I don't think it's a pest infestation. I'm pretty sure it's molting. I'm hoping the diarrhea is nothing to worry about.

Now that I think of it, at least one of the older hens has a very faded comb too now - faded like when they get broody type of faded pink. Is that associated with molting too? I hope so. I don't want my older gals getting sick.

The faded combs are definitely molt related, but I can't answer about the diarrhea. I know I have been seeing some really nasty poops from my molting birds, but I have also been seriously messing with their diets in an effort to add as much protein as possible. It's been really cold here and I have 5 birds that look half plucked. Poor ladies didn't leave the coop a couple days ago because it was freezing, pouring rain and sleet, and windy as all get out... and the old ladies are naked!

Runny poop happens. I have seen it in my molting hens and every once in a while through out the year. Unless the diarrhea is prolonged, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It never hurts to occasionally add some apple cider vinegar into their drinking water (about a tablespoon/gallon in a non-metallic container) to help support their gut health. During molt or other times of stress I also add poultry vitamins to their water on a weekly basis.

Thank you for the replies, it's relieving to hear these stories. I've been messing with my hens' diets a little too, trying to feed them extra protein. I did add a small amount of regular vinegar earlier today to their water just as an afterthought, so I'm glad to see that recommended too.

It seems now that my poor hens are molting, they look ragged and tired and weaker. I'll be glad when this is over with. Especially now that it's getting cold. It doesn't seem to be much fun for them.

Back
Top Bottom