Is Elvish a "real" language?

Yep, though I don't know where to point you for learning it. @Abriana A topic that may be of interest to you. ;)
Oh yesssss! Thanks Kate :D
Tolkien came up with several elvish languages/dialects Quenya (spoken by high elves or “grey elves” is more commonly used at ceremonies and elegant events I guess you could say) and Sindarin (the most common elvish tongue in middle earth, and the language used in the LotR/Hobbit movies) are the ones that are well developed enough to speak and write in. However Tolkien never intended these to be actual languages that one could fluently speak, so while you can learn many words and phrases, elvish isn’t actually well-developed enough to speak as an actual language like French or Spanish.

I know some phrases and words in both quenya and sindarin and I’ve found sindarin to be easier to learn and speak, but that is a matter of opinion and a matter of how you are able to pronounce different languages. I’m still puzzling out how to write in elvish, it’s quite complicated.

There are lots of websites online that can teach you, but be sure to find a reputable one that actually teaches Tolkien’s languages and not their opinions of it. I’m still searching for a good one :) elvish translators can also be useful.

*deep breath* and there is my speech :lol:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom