Is Etta Sick or Broody?

WittyMC

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
My sweet Etta has been laying almost everyday for the past 2 months, and for the past 2 days she has been sitting in her nesting box, rarely venturing out. Ususally she would lay an egg and immediately exit the nest. She skipped a day of laying and now is just sitting.
How can I tell if she is sick or acting a little broody??

My sweet Etta has been laying almost everyday for the past 2 months, and for the past 2 days she has been sitting in her nesting box, rarely venturing out. Ususally she would lay an egg and immediately exit the nest. She skipped a day of laying and now is just sitting.
How can I tell if she is sick or acting a little broody??
What breed of chicken is she? Does she make "growling" noises when you reach beneath her and/or puff up her feathers? I think that it is unlikely that she is sick, as the behavior your are describing is typical of a broody chicken.

She is a Cochin Bantam. Has never acted this way before, but I am also new to raising chickens. I wasn't sure if broodiness came on suddenly like this or not. I think she is going out for food and water so I will keep an eye on her. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom