Is feeding pop rocks to chickens ok?

pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif

Been following this one for a daily chuckle! BBQJOE - you errr...ummm...ROCK
gig.gif

Yeah, Joe knows how to keep things popping!

Humor is a relative thing. I like to imagine you'd end up with a hiccuping chicken bouncing off the coop walls, like and old cartoon.
big_smile.png

For those who don't have good common sense and would actually like to know if they can feed their chickens pop-rocks candy, it depends. The force with which pop-rocks explode is controlled and well-tested, if it wouldn't hurt the mouth of a toddler, it isn't going to cause any real physical damage to a chicken's crop. And while it'll probably startle and perplex the snot out of your bird, I doubt the sensation would be any more abnormal to them than having a live cricket or grasshopper struggle around in their crop while it waits to suffocate in undigested food. Snakes, fish, chickens, toads and just about anything else that eats it's food live and whole have muscles that specifically keep their food from crawling back up out of their throat which is a yummy prospect.
lol.png
By some estimates, it can take a live animal one to three minutes to suffocate in the digestive system of another organism, if it isn't crushed to death by the muscles used in swallowing. I can't imagine a few pop-rocks popping would feel much worse than a locust kicking violently for three minutes. I mean, I'd pulled live skinks and anoles out of the throats of a few of my hens; those buggers were squirming and flailing pretty hard, and the hen didn't seem particularly ruffled. I wouldn't particularly recommend you go shoveling candy down your flock's throat but I very seriously doubt it would scare them enough to kill them.

Because I like facts, the carbon dioxide bubbles in pop-rocks actually explode at 600-psi
th.gif

"To make Pop Rocks, the hot sugar mixture is allowed to mix with carbon dioxide gas at about 600 pounds per square inch (psi). The carbon dioxide gas forms tiny, 600-psi bubbles in the candy. Once it cools, you release the pressure and the candy shatters, but the pieces still contain the high-pressure bubbles (look at a piece with a magnifying glass to see the bubbles).
When you put the candy in your mouth, it melts (just like hard candy) and releases the bubbles with a loud POP! What you are hearing and feeling is the 600-psi carbon dioxide gas being released from each bubble."

http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/science-questions/question114.htm

If your chickens are wearing dentures (please see the thread about flossing your chickens' teeth) then pop rocks could cause a real problem. Imagine Charlie, strolling around the run minding his own business, when suddenly Henrietta picks up bunch of pop rocks and her dentures explode out of her mouth, nailing poor Charlie in the head. Charlie is suddenly immobilized, and doesn't catch the threat to his flock coming from above. Uh, oh. Dentures and Pop Rocks do not mix. (And don't ask me how I know.)

If your chickens are wearing dentures (please see the thread about flossing your chickens' teeth) then pop rocks could cause a real problem. Imagine Charlie, strolling around the run minding his own business, when suddenly Henrietta picks up bunch of pop rocks and her dentures explode out of her mouth, nailing poor Charlie in the head. Charlie is suddenly immobilized, and doesn't catch the threat to his flock coming from above. Uh, oh. Dentures and Pop Rocks do not mix. (And don't ask me how I know.)

Priceless
lau.gif

Last edited:
If your chickens are wearing dentures (please see the thread about flossing your chickens' teeth) then pop rocks could cause a real problem.  Imagine Charlie, strolling around the run minding his own business, when suddenly Henrietta picks up bunch of pop rocks and her dentures explode out of her mouth, nailing poor Charlie in the head.  Charlie is suddenly immobilized, and doesn't catch the threat to his flock coming from above.  Uh, oh.  Dentures and Pop Rocks do not mix.  (And don't ask me how I know.)
:lau :gig thanks for another laugh! :lol:

Pop Rocks might be ok, but I would totally avoid Skittles!

(Picture stolen from a friend of course!)

Back
Top Bottom