Is "Golden Buff" a breed? Anyone have any?

yes there is such a breed at golden buff.

The leader in the brown egg market, this strains; quiet temperament and large eggs makes them everyone's favorite. Pullets, with their soft buff-red color, mature at about 4 pounds. Males grow to a larger size for nice fryers and are white with dark wing, neck, and tail feathers. Average mature weight: roosters 5 to 6 lbs., hens 4 lbs.

they are also known as golden comets, cinnamon queens, or gold sexlinks or golden stars...

It is not a recognized "breed." It is a cross bred variety developed by a company to fill a market niche. The list of chicken "breeds" can be found in the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection.

Golden comets, cinnamon queens, and other sex-links are cross-bred, and also definitely not "breeds." There's nothing wrong with sex-links if you want eggs; they're just not eligible to be shown.

my golden comets are the friendliest and warmest personality birds...they talk non-stop to me and the rest of the flock, will be the first at the door and the feed dish, know little or no fear of my large dogs, and are THE best so far with egg production - daily i get exlarge brown eggs, except in molt.
i recommend them for home chickens. my next favorite are my Buff Orp.s

thats the same kind walmart uses every two years the gas em all and dont do any thing with them but before they gas em we go get a few and they layed eggs for another year

Quote:
Umm...since when does Walmart use chickens?

The "Golden Buff" is a variety of gold/red sexlink.

It is not a recognized "breed." It is a cross bred variety developed by a company to fill a market niche. The list of chicken "breeds" can be found in the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection

Sexlinks are not a "breed" in that they don't breed true...if you cross a sexlink rooster to a sexlink hen, the babies will not be sexlinked in color. They ought to be similar in body type and laying ability to the parent breeds though.

Also, the APA's standard of perfection is not the ultimate guide to what is and isn't a breed. Lots of true breeds are not in there--Marans, Kraienkoppen, Legbars, and Swedish Flower hens, for example--all breed true to type and have been around quite a long time, but are not recognized by the APA.​

The "Golden Buff" is a Hybrid no a breed.

As far as them being, "The leader in the brown egg market" that's not true. The leader of Brown Eggs would be the ISA Brown.

Chris

3.jpg
1.jpg

Golden Buffs are more of a color variety. I'd say they strongly resemble Buff Orpingtons, but hence the 'Buff' in the name, that is also a coloration. Chicken breeds are based on shape --not color. SO you could just have buff colored chickens that are mutts.

Back
Top Bottom