is hardware cloth alone stable enough for run sides?

You will be a lot happier with a walk-in coop and run! Mine is 8' tall, and the hardware cloth is run vertically on the framing, stapled with fence staples, and then 2"x4" woven wire on top, and 1"x4" wood strips screwed over all or it.
Mary

Pictures of my coop, and it's still not painted.:oops:
IMG_0222.JPG IMG_0223.JPG IMG_0224.JPG Mary

Love the coop Mary! I agree with the others who suggest making the run at least as tall as you are. It makes it sooooooo much easier to keep it clean and to get to the birds than if it’s just a three foot tall cage. We used hardware cloth on a wood fram and had no problems. Just used some heavy gauge wire to weave the hardware cloth pieces together. It’s easy enough to build a door too and just grab some hinges from the hardware store. Really, the only other option if you have to have the shorter cage-type run, is to train the birds to come when you call. Please post some pics when you’re done building!

Last year one of the 30' spruces behind it fell over in a windstorm, right on the coop, and only punched some hoes in the roof. Built solid! We got matching shingles out of the deal, so now it's not such a patchwork up there.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom