Is he loving or hating?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cinders55, Jul 30, 2013.

1. cinders55

cinders55 Chirping

Jun 15, 2010
    Citronelle, AL
    My male Rouen has taken to chasing after me any time I walk away from him and climbing on my foot while nibbling at the other. It sometimes hurts! Is he biting me or love nibbling? Have any of you had this? He's beautiful and loves his mate. They are both nearly six months old and started mating about 3 weeks ago. She just started laying three days ago. He doesn't attack me, but comes after me when I walk away and follows me along the fence line when I go out of the fence. Would really love some input from anyone else. Thanks!

2. silky ma

silky ma Songster

Sep 14, 2007
    What a bad boy.. he is trying to be dominant to you. nip this in the but and fast . use your foot or hand and firmly fling him off.
    worse comes to worse grab him by the feet and hang him upside down till he calms down. He should get the message. You are top roo not him!!

3. cinders55

cinders55 Chirping

Jun 15, 2010
    Citronelle, AL
    Thank you! I have been shoving him off and sometimes picking him up and tossing him to the pond. I will start being more forceful. I never thought of holding him upside down by his feet. I had to do that with my cockatoo a couple of times when he was young and would bite. I will try that with Pacman if he keeps this up. I really appreciate the advice.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Songster

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I would advise not holding a duck by their feet unless you are getting ready to butcher him as duck legs and hips are easily injured and could be permanently injured.

He's being hormonal, it sounds like.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

X2 ducks weigh a lot more than a roo and it could cause serious damage to their legs and feet by holding them upside down by them.

6. cinders55

cinders55 Chirping

Jun 15, 2010
    Citronelle, AL
    Thank you desertdarlene. I'm glad I read this before I grabbed his feet. This morning I just shoved him away. I'll just keep that up.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

When my dominant drake started acting this way, I started doing to him what his dad would do when he tried to upstart him, as soon as Opie started in on me I would hold him down flat to the ground hand on neck and back to keep him from struggling free hold him that way till he stops struggling. Let him up and if he comes at you again just do it again until he gets the message. The thing here is to be as persistant as he is. He'll get the message. [eventually] [​IMG] He's now 2 and every once in a while will try it with me and if close he goes in the pool but most of the time all I have to do now is shove him with my foot for him to get the idea I am off limits to his ways. Hormones they get the best of them.

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Songster

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    EDIT: oh, I see Miss Lydia had already responded with a good answer.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  9. starbird

starbird In the Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    I agree with the above post, this is what works for us. When the boy tries to come at me, I grab him and hold him still on the ground with my two hands on his wings. When he has stopped stuggling, he gets set free. We have to do this every couple of weeks. He wants to be dominant, what his is supposed to do. Your boy may never stop this complete, but by being consistent and confronting this almost everytime he does this, his behavior will improve.

10. MissusDee

MissusDee Chirping

Feb 7, 2011
    Never hold a duck by it's legs! I had a mallard drake that would behave this way. He would also hop up into my lap, and was the only duck I ever had that would do this and was very imprinted on me otherwise. It's an aggressive mating thing (not the lap part) and he may be acting as if you are part of his flock and must know he is in charge. I did like Miss Lydia did, I would push down gently with my foot when he would attack my feet and such to show him who was really boss. You can use your hand as well, just my foot was usually the most handy. Not too hard, just enough pressure to push him to the ground.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by