Is he Roo or isnt he Roo? (Pics)

Reurra

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Nova Scotia
My Langshan "rooster" is about 6 months old now.

He doesnt crow, he doesn't mount the girls, and doesnt have a big pretty tail.

Is he really a rooster?

Hes bigger, has huge feet, has saddle feathers and a somewhat larger redder comb than the girls. His sister is for sure a girl, no doubt about it! Ive had a lot of roosters so i know what to look for....but never have I had a rooster that doesn't....Rooster.

But this guy...is it a boy?

Anyone else come across this?

Any ideas on what to do?

Can you post a pic so we can see him?

It might well be that he is just slow to develop - I have heard of that happening before.

Then one day an almighty crow goes out across the valleys, and the owners go "What was THAT!?"

Krista

Well, bearing in mind I am not familiar with the breed at all....but I agree with you that he sure looks male. He has definitely got saddle feathers, and it looks like his sickle feathers are just starting to come in.

I think maybe he is just slow to develop. As I said earlier, I have heard of some roos taking their time to start crowing. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming few weeks.

(PS: If someone really experienced now comes in and says "It's a girl" I'm going to be dead embarrassed, lol!)

Please keep us updated.

Krista

I'm going to say Roo. I had a similar case of no spurs, no crowing or male behavior at 7 months. But he did have curved tail feathers and pointy feathers around his neck, just like yours. When I moved him to a larger flock, he immediately began to dance around the hens and "tried" to crow for the first time. Give him a little more time. Is he with another rooster? Mine was, which may explain why he didn't exhibit his male tendencies.
Also, I hear that late developers don't turn into aggressive roosters......that's a plus!!

My Langshan "rooster" is about 6 months old now.

He doesnt crow, he doesn't mount the girls, and doesnt have a big pretty tail.

Is he really a rooster?

Hes bigger, has huge feet, has saddle feathers and a somewhat larger redder comb than the girls. His sister is for sure a girl, no doubt about it! Ive had a lot of roosters so i know what to look for....but never have I had a rooster that doesn't....Rooster.

But this guy...is it a boy?

Anyone else come across this?

Any ideas on what to do?
Roosters are made, not born. Give him more time. In a few more months I'll bet that you'll be cussing him for waking you to early. However if there is an older male bird in residence his presence will oftentimes suppress or delay the hormones or sexual development of a young stag or cockerel.

He is definitely a rooster. Some birds just mature faster (or slower) than others, and in time, I'm sure he'll start acting more like a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom